Hello fellow forum users

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Bricklayer Tom, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bricklayer Tom

Bricklayer Tom New Member

Hello everyone.

My name is tom and i'm a bricklayer for about 9 years now and i've recently started blogging to share my bricklaying knowledge.
    As i'm new to blogging and i have butterfingers when it comes to computers. My friend has been helping me a lot with setting up the site and giving me tips to improve the site.
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks that i can use to improve my website.
    It would be great if you can leave some feedback either positive or negative. Any feedback is welcome.
    Personally i think that the layout is ok, but the posts can be improved a bit more. Maybe i should create a better overview but that's why i turned here for any advice.
    Please have a look at my website.
    https://bricklaying.allaboutzone.com

Thanks for having a look and if you could also share this among your friends i would be very grateful.

Cheers!!

Tom

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

read the section on "brick joints" that was enough dribble for me

3. Bricklayer Tom

Thanks Sospan for your swift reply, i kinda knew i messed up that post. To much information with no clear instructions.
    Was one of my first posts :). When i have some time in the weekend i'll try and fix it.

4. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

It's a pretty wordpress site.

For content you may want to trawl the discussions here to see what people are interested in.
    e.g. colour matching compo, tuck pointing.

Small thing. The white text can get lost on the backgrounds on the homepage.

Try adding shadow on the text e.g. before and after.
    upload_2017-2-22_10-49-29.png

To add a shadow edit styles.css (line 2764) and add the bit I've highlighted in red.

.lp-boxes-animated .lp-box-title {
    margin: 0;
    font-weight: 400;
    color: #FFF;
    text-shadow: 2px 2px 3px #333;
    }

5. Bricklayer Tom

Hi btiw,

Thanks for your tip regarding the white text. I was indeed looking for a solution in Wordpress but haven't been able to identify the issue.
    This wil surely help in getting it fixed. As i have little to no experience with coding i'll ask my buddy for assistance.
    My first intention was to change the picture but this solution looks very slick.
    Thanks for having a look, it is very much appreciated.
    If you have any other comments please let me know.

Cheers,

Tom.

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

A pictures says a 1000 words, it would be good to have a picture for each point to highlight what it is getting at.

The following statement makes no sense to me grammatically:

Mix 4 parts sand and one part cement dry thoroughly

Generally, its very hard to read and understand what you are trying to say.

7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Looks good.
    Stick a short intro or a quote or something on the first page over the trowel. I think it needs something.
    Personally I don't like stuff that moves about, the orange screen that pops down

8. Bricklayer Tom

Ai good catch, i've been struggling indeed and totally messed that up. Good tip about the pictures, i'm definitely going to take some picture during the job and correct the errors in the text.
    I can see what you mean about the grammatical issues.
    Thanks!

9. Bricklayer Tom

Thanks for your positive feedback.
    I would like to know what you mean with the orange screen that pops down. Do you mean the main picture of the brick wall or the orange slider when you click on a post?
    Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,

Tom