Door Handle Spring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gummo, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

My bathroom door handle's movement was sluggish, so on removal, I saw that one of the little spring pins had broken off.

Can I buy a new spring or do I need to buy a new handle set?

20170210_131403.jpg 20170210_131444.jpg

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Worth a look on ebay, got a few that I needed from there.

3. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

I had this happen recently to my living room door, all my downstair doors have the same door furniture and handles, so i didn't want to replace the one i had. quick look on ebay got me what i needed. I saved the link for future purposes and you might find it handy too

try this URL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1813...=9045192&device=c&campaignid=738217568&crdt=0

and scroll down the page to see other springs available.

Bertie

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Chances are that if you have the same handles throughout the house you will be able to 'acquire' a replacement spring as a stop gap measure from an unused or little used handle such as on the back of the door under the stairs for instance. So long as the springs in the mortice latch and the other handle are still there the lock should function adequately. Replacements are readily available on eBay and Amazon - just need accurate dimensions - thickness, number of turns etc.

That said I have bent the ends of numerous broken springs to make a 'new' one and they are still functioning.

6. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks all for your kind suggestions - I'm away to check them all out.

7. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I haven't been able to find my type (35mm diameter). Any recommendations where to buy a complete handle-set of the same type?

8. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Bump.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You should be able to bend the end of the spring to make a new sticky-out bit. If the spring is so brittle it breaks off, you could try heating the broken end to red hot (gas hob?) and letting it cool which may de-temper it so it loses its springiness. I'd try that before buying a new knob!

10. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

It bent nicely with pliers and now functions although the strength of recoil is reduced.