picture framing/flashing/critical lighting

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by nick the commie painter, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Bad experience recently with picture framing. DULUX Trade v/matt from Dulux Dec Centre, copy of F&B Olive (deep base).
    Feature wall 10ft by 7'6". Whole wall cut in with 2" Purdy, filled in with med pile Purdy roller. Not just a different texture at the overlap..a different colour. 2 shades away at least. So bad you could photograph it. Covered over magnolia in 2 coats but given 3. Given 2 more after that to try and get rid of the picture framing. Different size cutting brush each time. All tools clean. Not over brushed or worked the usual cause of flashing. Normal drying conditions - warm house, wet edge as good as it gets

Gave it the weekend to dry properly but dried the same 2 colours.

Same happened on the med base Dulux v/matt copy of F&B Lichen on the rest of the walls but customer happy to let it go. I wouldnt have thats for sure.

Complained to Dulux Tech Centre (number on the colour card) who eventually admitted the fault but only offered vouchers in compensation. Cost me a day and a half labour! Refused to pay monthly bill in protest and now served with a legal action notice for non payment. Nice company .

This has now happened twice in 2 months, after exactly 40 years experience and 35 years loyalty to Dulux emulsion v/matt, Durable Flat Matt, Diamond Matt whatever. All Trade and all from DDC or TP or other builders merchants selling trade not retail cack.

Problem resolved by using JOhnstones Coverplus - their vinyl matt - and never happens with F&B. Apparently Crown bad too.

Solution: Use Johnstones after registering your complaint at Dulux. Not enough people do.

Any other experiences of this ?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Only had that happen once using Little Green paint ...spoke with the tech dept and was advised that this would not be the situation after a 2nd coat.....they were spot on!:) paint dries out a beaut!;)

3. Did the 1st cover solidly?
    Anyway, defo didnt work with Dulux. Would still be there.
    Incidentally used a very dark paint library colour - very flat - and every time the customer went near it ie. ran her hand over it or brushed past it , it left a white mark. Happily she got it herself from a hipster designer shop and couldnt blame me.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not a good as I had expected it to have done.

5. Sure it wasnt just the original colour grinning through?