Telebeam Installation

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Dec 8, 2016.

1. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

At least you will know it's "right", how many rafters involved and will it enable you to insulate better ?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

What a massive pain if you have to do all that! Surely this could have been avoided? First BC at fault?

3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yeh, BC should surely of picked up on it at 1st visit, not sure where it'll get you if you complain though.
    Can't see them holding their hands up and saying "we are at fault, let us reimburse you for the time and money wasted" can you ?

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to see what TB say first as they provided the service.

Again did query this with them a number of times.

Don't know if by doubling up the rafter as I have done would have any effect to the calcs?

Really don't want to be doing the work again, haven't got the energy or strength do be doing it again...

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

10 raters in total, windows are n so cant disturb them. Insulation would be upgraded from 50 to 70mm, but still need to add the double battens on top, BC said they would be happy with the 50mm, so in my sense am losing the 30mm by going the 120mm rafter route.

Know what you mean, but i is very off putting and demoralising when you have to redo all the work that has been carefully put in.

6. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Yeah i do feel for you, although i enjoy most aspects of Diy etc, when i am doing stuff i don't like, i remind myself that once started, every little bit i do moves the job on.

10 Rafters, don't sound so bad when you say it quick ! :)

Can't believe iv'e only now seen where the smilies are kept :rolleyes:

7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I think you need to ask a SE about your double up, get a calc done to see how close it is the the span table results.

I would then review your approved stamped BC drawings, are you building in line with these size wise? If so, they have mucked up and should have told you earlier.

I would then ring the head of building control and sound off about how you did the right things and how their interim inspections permitted you to build what they now say is not sufficient, and in light of your double ups and calcs, you appeal to them to accept your work as adequate in the circumstances.

If you have stamped approved plans (i hope) and are building to them, it's THEIR mistake.

koolpc likes this.
  8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

With you there 2000. Thats how I would progress. Suspect the doubling up may well be very close to acceptable.

Perhaps a 10mm mild steel strip bolted through every 300mm would sort it. Certainly be strong enough. Only 10 rafters to do so would not cost much at all.

All the best, I personally have enjoyed your project.

Jitender likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It's always irritating when you have to re-do work.
    Kools did make a big point about the first inspector, and he was right.

I think it might be better to employ an independent structural engineer, who would be able to supply details that you can pass on to BC and TB. I would expect one of them to foot the cost, considering both are at fault, but I don't know how that would go down.

Personally I would let the loft be finished and signed off before complaining to the council, you certainly do not want them working against you.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always better to have BC as a friend than enemy.:eek:

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I will just see what TB say first, again they provided plans for the work showing no doubling up needed of joists etc. Should have sent BC drawings at the time, but thought since the system was approved by building control that wouldn't be required. Plans were originally submitted for loft conversion with use of steels columns.

I have checked the span of the existing trusses and the span to the node point (gusset plate) which is 2080mm , the current span i have is 2350mm, which is only 270mm longer.

Roof covering are only fiber cement slates (600x300 mm) so there is much load as opposed to concrete tiles so am hoping that now by having the rafters doubled they should meet the requirement. A SE would have to confirm this is the case with calculations.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fiber cement slates around 23Kg per square metre compared to concrete Marley Mendip 50Kg, Marley Plain tile around 75Kg per square metre.
    Considerably less weight,I would think your ok, but I'm not BC or a SE, it's the 600mm centres which is the sticking point.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Marley fibre slates can be used up to 600mm span maximum,due to being classed as lightweight.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Heard back from TB.

They are saying that span table relate to timber spans that are level (horizontal), because roof is inclined it will affect the results.

Original timbers is TR26 graded, which doesn't have a span table but say it is much stronger that than C16/C24 which is lesser grade.

With the additional timbers they should fall well within its capabilities. The continuous support past the brace points has the effect of strengthening the original timber.

Have forwarded e-mail on to BC to see if they accept this, if not they can do calculations for a nominal fee.

So look like everything is back on track...

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

TR26 is up there with C24, much higher structure grade, sometimes over engineering can have advantages,fingers crossed BC will be happy with this.:)

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hopefully they will accept the e-mail, but think they would probably want calculations.

17. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Bit odd their reference to "Horizontal Timbers" , the span tables clearly define Rafters Joists & Purlins etc
    Any road if they end up saying their happy with it then all's good

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Do you think it would be worth getting a SE to look at it to be on the safe side?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I will see what council say first.

If they don't accept the email, then I will pay TB for calculations to be performed. The last SE I used wasn't sure on the system as only deal with steels. If I get an SE out on site they would want £475 for site visit.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

£475!!