Shower tray just popped - HELP

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alistair walker, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Alistair walker

Alistair walker New Member

Help

I have just installed a large stone resin shower tray. I decided to Install it directly to a green chipboard floor as it seems pretty solid. I used a 20mm bed of tile adhesive as I noticed the floor wasn't completely level. I ran a thick bead of silicone around the 2 edges that were in contact with the wall along with a flexi strip. All was well until I heard a bang in the middle of the night.
    When I went to investigate the following day, it looks as if the tile adhesive has stuck to the floor ok but has popped away from the underside of the stone resin tray.

The underside of the tray was a black plasticky type surface.

I'm stumped as what to do next??

The tray is level & on a solid base, it's also well fixed to the inside edges via the silicone, however it is not stuck down.
    Toyed with drilling 3 holes thro the tray (outside of glass) and clamping down with some flat headed wood screws into the chip board then covering the screw with some sciliconed white dome caps or will I have to rip it up and start again?

Any advice appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Doall

Doall Active Member

Me personally I'd just leave it it's secure and level once the screen is on the weight of that will pin it to the ground.
    Don't drill into it as that would be a disaster imho

Alistair walker likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One of those...do you take the plunge and start again, or take a chance!

Seen as you haven't started tiling, I'd personally start again. What tile adhesive did you use. Did you prime floor/tray beforehand? Also, generally better to mount on ply than chipboard...

KIAB and Alistair walker like this.
  4. Alistair walker

I used mapae flexible floor tile adhesive, didn't prime the floor before hand, if I lift the tray and start again, im dreading trying to remove the floor tile adhesive and also, the scilicone & flexi strip from the tray.
    Is their an easy way of removing this to salvage the tray or would I need a new tray?

Thanks for your replies guys

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If the tray flexes, it will crack, when it cracks the manufacturer will walk away from the warranty do to incorrect installation. I would bite the bullet. I thought it was specified as a sand / cement mix?

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I agree, lift and start again now while it is easy to go

7. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Most tray manufacturers specifically say don't use tile adhesive (for the reasons you've just found out).

A purpose riser kit is one option for you.
    Sand and cement (5:1) is what is usually recommended.

Start again - read the instructions top to bottom this time.

8. Alistair walker

I guess it's a lesson learned. Unfortunately the tray was an ebay job and so didnt come with instructions, however I managed to track some down by contacting the supplier. The instructions state

'Use installation compound adhesive or a suitable contact adhesive to cover the full area'

This evening I ripped the tray back out, amazingly it came out and cleaned up quite nicely with some WD40. Even the aqua strip is still in tact.

the tile adhesive seems to have formed a decent slab which is level. I'm thinking about adding a sheet of 18mm ply over the top of it, screwing it down securely then spreading a contact adhesive over the ply before installing the tray again. Does this sound reasonable?, any advice on what kind of contact adhesive to use?, I've seen some people use a foam adhesive.

Thanks for your input

Attached Files:

9. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

plasterboard adhesive is the best **** for fixing trays with a deep notched trowel... that base is going nowhere as long as the floor is well and truly screwed down, can see large area where tray did not make contact with adhesive hmmm must try harder, stand in the tray and squidge it down and lift to level if needed.

10. Alistair walker

Yea, the large non contact areas were revealed when I lifted the tray. Not so good, today I re-screeded flat to fill in all those areas then added a sheet of 18mm marine ply on top, I've screwed it down at regular intervals and it's now rock solid. Tomorrow il add a healthy portion of pink grip to the ply and a thick bead of scilicone around the edge of the shower tray before I stick it down.

Hopefull that will do it this time. Thanks for your responses

Attached Files: