Worst work day for a while

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by sospan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So today was one of those days you want to forget.

Started off a nice simple job, just move a double socket 150mm to the left so I can fit a built in wardrobe - 4 hours !

Usual thing checked the run of the cables, put the electric off. marked up the new opening, stitch drilled round the perimeter. Happily, tapping the centre out with scutching chisel, head falls off the hammer off I went to get another one. Wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even lose.. Once I got the plaster off, it reveal stone not brick, so start chipping away. Phone rings - PPI call :mad: picked the hammer up and knocked the chisel in to the gap between the floor boards and the wall. Off to get another one

Then discovered that some Muppet had not only screwed the box in, but set in cement, not only around the sides but behind and through the knock out holes and over the cables.

And every 20 mins phone rings ppi/accident claims and wife.

Then had to clean up and make good the destruction and didn't even get to fit the wardrobe :oops:

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Some days I'm thankful for my desk job!

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It'll always be the simple jobs that go horribly wrong and end up taking hours.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's the same with plumbing & drainage, starts off a simple job, & gradually it expands to a major job.:mad:

A simple job here started off replastering wall by back door, removing plaster, I found 4x2 used as bricks, so ended up rebuilding doorway, as I removed move plaster found lintel had been patched with filler, so a new lintel had to be fitted, ended up 3 days work instead of a half day.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Must admit most of it was own goals but the faff getting that back box, even flattening the thing -grrr

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most of the time it is battling with the bodge that other people had done previously and rubbishy materials

Dr Bodgit, Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sound like a 'Just Job'.............can you just move this over 150mm, won't take you long :rolleyes::oops:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bodging is one thing that makes me mad:mad:, then you have to sort it all out.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Once a bodge always a bodge. Most of the time you end up having to rip out everything and start again.

wiggy likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

On this job, I had to replace the window because it wasn't screwed in properly. It had gaps so big down the side I could put my fist in.

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Did someone call my name? Wasn't me guvnor honest.

12. Pablo-Handy

Pablo-Handy Member

Things can snowball, I almost became religious and started believing in curses.

In the final moments before leaving a home we spent three weeks working in. Fuse blows, water pipe blows, macerator blocks and finally the car battery was dead. Four things on the trot and I was on my own.

Super stressful, breakdown material.

Unbelievable.