Multifuel Stoves

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 22, 2017.

1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

We visited Pickering and were suitably impressed. 10% discount if 'you' can collect - depends where you are located

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Intresting place, got some good pubs there.

3. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Cost more in fuel than 10% for me

4. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Whitby has better pubs!

5. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

OK its up to you mrppp

6. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

Shop 5 mile from me will be easier, nice to have a look at it in the flesh

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

You MUST see it in the flesh or working. Its quite understated yet impressive when fired up. HETAS installation gets you 10 yrs warranty.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    mrppp likes this.
  8. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

managed to get hold of a little thurlow locally at a good enough price, so thanks for the recommendations

9. xifwercs

xifwercs Member

from my understanding of defra approved stoves for smoke control areas... the difference been you cannot shut the air controls fully on a defra stove, they are limited to being open a tiny amount, this being when you shut down the air on a non defra stove, it 'slumbers' - on a slow burn, this isn't the most efficient way of burning however hence not allowed in smoke control areas.
    non defra approved stoves are allowed in smoke control areas, you would only be allowed to burn approved smokeless fuel however ie no logs, standard coal etc. failure to adhere to this may result in a hefty fine.... if caught.

also a 7KW stove requires you to have a permanent hole to outside in an area close to the stove that the homeowner would be unlikely to cover or block, this hole also requires a vent guard with a no way to shut it off.
    upto 5KW stoves are allowed to be installed without an external airflow hole (I believe this is in a house with adequate airflow, so an old house with gaps etc). a new house that is quite airtight may still need an external vent for airflow below 5kw.... carbon monoxide is a risk if not adequate air supply.
    Building control or your hetas installer will test the draw of the stove and see if airflow is adequate prior to passing regs, failure to sign off with a hetas or BC inspector is illegal and would affect the sale of house and void house insurance etc, its covered under part J - building control. Scotland is exempt from building control this as long as your adequate.

10. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Yup - my post 9 alluded to anything over 5kw needing external permanent airflow. My HETAS guy did all the tests and checked that I'd got a CO detector, Happy bunny

KIAB likes this.