Price of slate roofing.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Peter Alderson, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Hello everyone.
    I'm planning on having an extension built on my bungalow and I generally want to improve its appearance at the same time. It needs new fascias and guttering but something that would really improve it would be a slate roof. As I would be extending the existing roof along it would seem the ideal opportunity to take off the concrete tiles and do the whole building in slate. I feel it would help the roof structure too as its only a thirty degree pitch and I feel the weight of the tiles is an issue. Can anyone give me an approximate idea of cost per square metre so I can start to work out a budget. I know slate varies greatly, Welsh slate being one of the most expensive, but any information would be welcome.
    Thank you.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Another thing to consider before you do anything is will the local authority allow a change of materials from concrete tiles to slate!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Great chance to replace the roof underlay and get some insulation in there too.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Thanks. I will be putting in for planning permission for the extension and will specify the slate as part of that, but thought it would make sense to work out if I can afford it first. It should be ok to change from tile, we live in a village and there are all kinds of different roofs from thatch to pantiles including slate. Next door is thatch with a garage/ annexe next to us in slate. I will check out these sites. Would you say there is a difference in quality in the different slates?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  7. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  8. Missed the point about the felt and insulation. At the moment the loft has a big thick layer of rockwool and it keeps the heat in really well, but I hate the stuff when it comes to doing any work that involves going in the loft. Cant see the joists to walk on and always got to wear a mask when moving it. Being a bungalow it has a loft hatch with a ladder and hot air leaks up into the space so I get condensation dripping off the felt. Celotex or something similar between the rafters would be much better.

9. Yes this is a good idea, thanks.

10. Just been looking at some of the sites suggested. Some good stuff here. The natural slate co
    what is recycled slate exactly, its not like the composite / plastic type slates. How long does it last.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. So it is plastic, Its an interesting option , I think i would rather have real slate, but then again I bet its a lot cheaper. I wonder what it looks like with age.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Give me real slate any day.

The plastic slates are unbreakable, several makers of them out there.

http://www.tapcoroofingproducts.com/

http://dynaslate.co.uk/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wondering what is the life span and are they damaged by UV?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Polymer Composite slate & Rubber Plastic slate ar UV stable, but longevity is uncharted waters, some have only been around 10 years or so, so no idea as how they will look or last in 20 years, even 40 years, whereas real slate is tried & tested.

Astramax and Joe95 like this.