Weird faint lines on new oak worktop..

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by ArtBalcombe, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ArtBalcombe

ArtBalcombe Member

It's got a thicker coating of Danish Oil on the underside but regardless I could not see any lines there before it was installed. I've looked at a 400mm ish offcut and can see no lines on either side nor any difference in finish. The offcut has not been oiled.

2. ArtBalcombe

ArtBalcombe Member

They are indeed too slight to try the steel rule suggestion - as for whether I can feel them, I think I can but it could be my mind telling me where they are....

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The rule and light is an old fashioned way of checking for flat on metal, wood etc. It will pick up even the slightest deviation (<1mm). Obviously Art won't need to go down to that tolerance level

4. ArtBalcombe

ArtBalcombe Member

Actually I doubt if the undulations are more than 1mm.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You'd be surprised how much a even sanding swirls will show up on surface and that is in microns. I make a lot of cabinetry these days, most of which gets painted and even then have to be so careful with the preparation as any mark will show through when the light hits it - much like you have found with your work top.

ArtBalcombe likes this.
  6. I would imagine these undulations to be a fraction of one milli.

A thought - if the manufacturers asked if you placed them the right way up, then that suggests that there IS a 'right way up'.

In which case the fitters got it wrong - and legally they are liable.

But, your call.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not necessarily, planer thicknesser marks can vary from slight to quite deep, some are made by the blade some are made by the roller. A lot depends on the speed throughput, pressure and depth of cut. Because the will be no hard edges to detect when you run your fingers over them.

When you work with natural timber a lot, it is quite a common occurance it is even more prevalent at the ends of mouldings where you get chatter at the end of a length

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

With regards to if the worktops have a right way up, normally you find it's manufactured with the timber to be best face up also it's generally sanded to a finer finish, both sides go through a panel sander (very similar setup to a thicknesser).Bottom face first then the top face goes through twice with the second pass using a finer belt which is why when you look at the ends sometimes they are very lightly rolled over, it's where the tops dropped slightly as it's comes out the sander

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Learning new stuff on here every day x 2 :)

10. ArtBalcombe

ArtBalcombe Member

Thanks everyone for your help - it was only about 2SM so I used a grade coarse sanding paper, a long sanding block and 2 hours of labour and I'm pleased to say marks have now disappeared.