Any improved water based gloss satin out there yet?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by teabreak, Apr 24, 2017.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hi all,
    I have been using Johnstone's aqua satin for a while as it seemed the best water based (best of what is a load of rubbish that is!:rolleyes:) has anyone found a better one recently please?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try Crown Fast Flow Satin, best I have used so far a a a a a a a a aardvarks!

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And highly recommended.:)

teabreak likes this.
  4. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Recently used some Leyland Trade water based gloss and was pleased with the results, much improved since the stuff i last used about 8 or so years ago.
    Available from our host

teabreak likes this.
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I don't have an aardvark but I have a couple of tortoises though, near enough I guess! :):):)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

My mobile auto corrected the spelling...should have read, ... best I have used so Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

teabreak likes this.
  7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

:):):):)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Recently used Dulux Trade Satinwood in 1 room, usual stuff, skirts, picture rail, paneled doors and some MDF cupboard doors. Really pleased with how the paint flows and finish of the product. Just have to resist the temptation to over work the paint as the 'open' time is so much less than with oil paints

Used the Leyland stuff few years ago and didn't get on with it - like painting with jelly ! Although the recipe may well have changed several times by now, as most paint manufacturers seem to have done to counteract the issues using these water based paints

As above, have heard good results about the crown fast flow

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Trade Satinwood or Dulux Trade Quick Drying Satinwood? Have to agree with Wayners Dulux Q/D Satinwood is not toooooooooooooooo good, appalling opacity :mad:

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was the water based stuff so Q/D yes

Most of the woodwork required a fair bit of prep, filling, to get it up looking nice so gave it 2 coats of Leyland acrylic undercoat primer for a nice solid base, light rub down between coats and 2 coats of the above. Have got the oil based Dulux in garage but decided to use the water based.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Found it reasonably ok on flat surfaces but a different beast on mouldings. :mad: