Removing concrete splat from brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by blaggers_, Apr 25, 2017.

1. blaggers_

blaggers_ New Member

Hi, bought a newbuild from a developer who decided to leave me with the nice job of removing concrete splatter from messy workers. I'm aware I need to use an acid product, anyone know the best method and product to avoid damaging brickwork?

Image > https://ibb.co/nBqqD5

Thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would first try and remove the large knobles and scrape off as much as possible. The end of a piece of timber is ideal for this.

However, I would be more concerned about the other issues on your entrance way. The corner joint shouldn't be like that and what is going on behind the down pipe ?

upload_2017-4-25_13-22-17.png

3. blaggers_

blaggers_ New Member

Hi, and thanks for replying.

I agree the corner looks messy but I'm not a builder, is there more to it?

As for the vent, should it not be there?

Thanks

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Have you got a suspended floor inside?

5. blaggers_

blaggers_ New Member

As an absolute amateur I have no idea, I know its a timber framed house!

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wooden suspended floor means ventilation underneath. If you stamp on floor does it feel / sound hollow or very solid?

7. blaggers_

blaggers_ New Member

It's solid

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In a new build the bricks should be tied in properly. I.e a brick on the left should be part of the main house course and not butt up to it. By doing that way as the house moves everything moves together. Over time you may find that cement in the corner will crack. Whilst this isn't the best example, it should look like this
    upload_2017-4-25_17-5-22.png

Thats a vent behind the downpipe, not the smartest place to put it. The vent is used to circulate air in the space under the concrete beam and block floor you have. You need to make sure no vegetation grows near it. Otherwise it can spread and actually grow underneath the floor void.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    blaggers_ likes this.
  9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Plus, you need to keep the vent clear for the borrowers.