Yamaha AV amp problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Richard Hutchison, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Richard Hutchison

Richard Hutchison New Member

Hi all. Problem with Yamaha 673 AV amp. Working fine then out of nowhere started showing an "Internal Error" message and won't do anything, even switch on. Looked up on Internet and had to download a software update from Yam website. Seems to try to install it from a USB stick, goes through a load of steps then stops and shows "Error 4000" and that's the end of that! Tried Yamaha tech support but they just said send it in. This is not an expensive AV amp and I bought it second hand.Anyone any ideas. Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. Richard Hutchison

I thought that but I've followed the advice I found to the letter. There seems to be very specific advice about how and when to unzip the file and so might be screwing it up. Any tips?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Richard Hutchison

Not very good at this sort of stuff! So I should download whole folder, lift file out into USB root, dump rest, then unzip? Help!!!

6. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

A couple of things may be the problem
    1) What size is the USB, some devices can't cope with the larger options available today
    2) What format is it, this can go hand in hand with the size of USB. You should be safe formating it as FAT or FAT 32. I would stay away from NTFS options
    3) To copy the files to the USB:
    • Format USB stick to FAT / FAT32 something around the 4GB should be fine, it seems to be very specific about other folders on the disk, so this will clear it out
      • To format, just in case, insert disk in PC, open file explorer
      • You should see the USB as one of the drives, right click on it and you will see a window pop up
      • Click format
      • Select the file system option as FAT or FAT32 whichever is available
      • Uncheck Quick format if it is ticked
      • Double check you have selected the correct drive
      • Check again that you have selected the correct drive
      • Press start
    • Double click on the ZIP file you downloaded, this should open the folder
    • Click on the one and only file that is in there and drag it into your USB drive
    • Follow the update instructions on their website
    • Let us know how you got on