How to make this weather proof

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Zohur Miah, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Hi all

I previously posted a thread regarding my roof situation. Basically I have a soil pipe going through my pitched roof which is causing water to seep through.

I concluded I will need something like this made according to my pitch, and angle of my pipe. https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...-degree.html?gclid=CNqQ0quQwtMCFQmdGwodoe4BZw

My question is, when the pipe goes through the lead slate, how do I make sure water doesn't get through the shaft of the lead slate and the soil pipe?

The soil pipe is 110mm and the opening on the lead slate is 115mm.

Thanks
    Zed

2. I've replied on your earlier thread.

I wouldn't go for that lead flashing, personally - I see no benefit over other solutions such as the rubber-membraned one you linked to in your other first post.

3. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Thanks mate. I replied to the other thread. Only reason why I was considering a lead slate was because the three roofer I have had out all said that because my situation is not normal, the rubber one won't work. The rubber one is for when the pipe is going vertically through a pitched roof. But I have a pipe going almost horizontally into a pitched roof.

4. I agree with you - it's chust a case of turning the flashing slate around 180o!

As long as the 'flashing' part will work on your roof - ie if it suits your tiles - then the 'rubber' part will almost definitely work too, exactly as it would the 'correct' way. I don't know if it has an angle limit? If so, check that the combination of roof and pipe angles are suitable.

I have used these flashings, and they'll cope with huge variations of angle.

5. Zohur Miah

Zohur Miah New Member

Funny you mention flipping it arround. I said the same thing! But I don't think any of the roofers understood. Maybe I need a better roofer.

Anyways the company who makes the rubber weathering slate said it can work up to 45degrees. I ordered a protractor online and as soon as it is delivered I will jump on the roof and measure the angle between the pipe and the roof.

I posted a picture on the other thread. Hopefully a bit more clear.

Thanks for your help so far. Your not from the Midlands are you?

6. Nope, not Midlands. South-West.

Most pitched roofs are at around 30-odd degrees to about 45 degrees. That flashing will (should) easily cope with that range and more.

When I fitted one a few years back, the vent pipe I pushed through could 'swing' sideways a huge amount, with the rubber membrane handling that movement with no issues.

I would estimate that your roof is around 20 degree pitch (rough guess) and the vent pipe probably less than 10 degrees from the horizontal, so a combined angle of about 30 degrees.

Will that flashing cope with what is effectively a 30 degree pitch? Surely 'yes'. Easily.

I am as certain as a certain thing that it will work - provided, of course, the actual flashing plate is sealed properly with the tiles.

If you go this route (are you DIYing this?) then I'd also add one of the plastic collars they suggest. Slip this on the pipe after it comes through the flashing, and when it's all connected up and in place, add a good ring of sealant all around the pipe close to the flashing plate and even over the rubber membrane where the pipe comes through, and then slip the collar down over it. A smear of sealant will be left on the pipe surface above the collar - neatly finish this off the tights around the upper side of the collar.

Jobbie almost certainly jobbed. Permanently.