Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. LJG

LJG New Member

Looking for advice please. Painted hall, stairs and landing 2 months ago using Valspar Trade emulsion. Didn't smell at the time but slowly a terrible cat urine smell has started and is getting stronger as the weather gets warmer. Valspar not interested, suggested I must have had bacteria on my walls as apparently bacteria mixed with emulsion equals ammonia urine smell. Rubbish - as walls clean, dry and properly prepped! They suggest re painting with primer then new emulsion. This is my large hall, stairs and landing, the thought of re doing it makes me want to cry. Anyone experienced this and can advise me whether the smells goes in time or if it never goes? It's very strong! Thanks

2. Ross Parekr

Ross Parekr New Member

We are currently going through the same thing. We painted our daughter's room with Valspar. It sticks - more strongly in the sunlight, or when the windows open. This suggests bacteria, which get going when they have heat and air. It could have been from the walls or the paint - obviously the paint manufacturer says the former. We have been told that dilute sodium hypochlorite (commercial bleach) could fix the problem and, provided it was sponged on cleanly, it may prevent the need to repaint. We are going to try this, and if it doesn't work, to paint the whole room again in Zinser (sp?) sealant, then with other (non-Valspar) paint.

3. LJG

LJG New Member

Thanks for replying. Valspar told me I have to seal all walls then repaint but they won't cover the costs, neither will B&Q, nor will they refund my £61 bill for the valspar paint. I'm really interested in how you get on, could you update me once you've tried the sodium hypochlorite. Will that not take the paint off the walls? Look forward to hearing how you get on. Ours is large lash, stairs and landing and huge task to redo!

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Burn a scented candle in the location for a few days.

5. Clive123

Clive123 New Member

Ive had exactly the same problem.
    Have painted the downstairs toilet which was recently built.
    After a few weeks I started to notice a 'different' smell.
    Put it down to a small room and heat.
    Last week I painted my daughter room with Valspar Trade emolsion paint (pink).
    Almost straight away I noticed the cat urine smell.
    These walls plastered 2 years ago and where painted with Leyland paint and never had any issues, until now......
    It will be interesting what Valspar will say because I had 2 rooms with same smell, 1 painted straight over plaster the other painted over emolsion.
    Let's see what excuses they come up with.

6. Bekjam

Bekjam New Member

I too have painted spare room in velspar (always used deluxe before). Clean room. No mould. Plastered 4 years ago

Paint was full of fumes when painted. But seemed to pass. Woodwork paint smell took over. Then now after a few weeks it sticks like something has died in that room. I looked for mice?! It's got to be the paint as the corners of the room smell the worse. Even worse in the sun!! I am worried it's poisonous?! With people mentioning bacteria?! Will phone velspar tomorrow after fining this thread. I'm worried now!!

Michael worock likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I have noticed Oil based gloss stinks real bad now just like cats pxxs. Will go on for weeks but don't use anymore. Used loads of valspar emulsion paint with no problems or unpleasant smell. Strange? I have used water based when it's gone off real bad, stunk like hell in tin but thinned a little and rolled on. I shouldn't have but needs must! After a day or so the paint smell went. Must be some type reaction or fault with Valspar paint. It's a worry as I use all the time

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Common problem search the net for smelly paint, the BBC watchdog did a piece on it some years ago.
    The answer (which is of no use to you) is to wash down thoroughly before painting, so you remove bacteria on the walls. The solution now is to try and seal the smell in and repaint again, a stain blocker paint should do it Zinsser do BIN but you need to work fast as it dries in about 15 mins!
    Have a search for odour blocking primers.
    The cause of the problem is the move to "Eco friendly" paints they have so few chemicals in them that unlike to old ones that probably killed any bacteria stone dead these seem to almost feed them!

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I wonder if putting vc 175 mould inhibitor in the paint will help. I always carry it on van

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Tough..........................lol

11. Murray Callander

Murray Callander New Member

Hi - we have the exact same issue. Two rooms painted with valspar 8 months ago and it's been driving us mad trying to find the smell. We have a cat and we've been sniffing the carpets all over the place but just realised it's the walls tonight. In one of the rooms we only painted one wall with Valspar, the other with cheap B&Q trade magnolia - the only wall that smells is the Valspar wall. It's worse in hot weather and sunlight.
    Shame, it's nice paint to use but we're never buying it again!!!

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Try and get a Lion to **** in the room....................Will get rid of Valspar smell!

13. Murray Callander

Murray Callander New Member

:DWas that the only thing that worked for you!!?

14. Laing

Laing New Member

Hi, We have the same issue in our house I painted porch, dining room, lounge and part of the stair well two weeks ago - and now when the hot weather increases towards the afternoon the smell of leaking gas starts, we checked our meter and considered calling our British Gas until we discovered it was the Valspar paint used on our ceilings. I was advised by a B&Q member of staff to use the Valspar trade because it was good for covering new plaster - this was a newly plastered ceiling with no previous paint whatsoever! - Has anyone considered legal action and if so what has been the outcome? After reading many blogs can anyone tell me what Watchdog's outcome was?

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use valspar trade all the time. Never had a problem but something is going on. Keep hearing reports of smells. I know solvent wood work trim paint like gloss and satinwood sticks of cats pxxx. Can last for months but I have not used that for a few years. All started back in 2010 with the removal of 25% of the solvent but never had trouble with emulsion. Hope I don't to. If I did I think I would add some tac to the paint to make it smell of roses and coat up again. Johnstones paints sell it. Can't remember the name

16. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Dulux and crown have had problems too, the industry as a whole seems to be waffling on with excuses and the poor customer (and tradesman getting complaints) seem to be left out in the cold.
    With your paint going onto fresh plaster I would think their excuses about improper prep of existing surfaces is a bit shaky.
    I would write to them explaining and advise them that you have also sent a copy to BBC Watchdog, who may also be interested in a follow up programme.

As it happens I have only once had the problem in a rental I had refurbished a year before, there were some small scuffs to touch in throughout the house, I used left over paint from the first time and only had the problem on a single wall in one bedroom, weird or what?
    I used a stain/odour blocker repainted with the same paint and it was fine.o_O

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There a few paint scent additives around, which are added to the paint,Owatrol Paint Odour Eliminator is one, Rust-Oleum Paint Plus Paint Additive Scents is another, used a lot in the USA, but pretty sure not available here.

18. kks0

kks0 New Member

We've had a similar if not the same experience in our house too.
    We painted two of the upstairs bedrooms with a Valspar Emulsion paint and noticed that there was a strong, gas-like smell when the windows were left open and the weather was warm.
    Over the course of three/four months we called over National Grid, the Water people and Rentokill numerous times to see if they could locate the source of the smell, and all claimed that it wasn't their area of expertise.
    It was only yesterday when we actually went up to the painted walls and put our noses against it and smelt it, we realised it could be coming from the paint! We are now in a dilemma as to what to do to get rid of the paint off the walls, and are open to any suggestions that anyone may have. As the smell has caused us severe headaches and the bedrooms are practically inhabitable at the moment - so we're having to sleep downstairs.
    Also, has anyone tried to contact Valspar? And if so, what was the outcome? As we are considering taking legal action if this is the cause of the smell in the two bedrooms upstairs.

19. Jemima Wade

Jemima Wade New Member

This is bonkers, we feel we have just joined a big club, we have used Vaspar in 5 newly plastered rooms plus hall stairs and landing. All good until the last room (there have been different colours). All walls were plastered by the same guy, each one in the same way. We have done the usual wash coats, and then painted the rooms, but the last room has been causing us such a mystery. Until today when we sniffed the walls!! B&Q have given me a party line about bacteria on the walls and needing to seal with alkaline resisting primer then repaint. I have just cut up onions to leave in the room and washed the walls with bicarb of soda, not sure how useful this will be but though it worth a try since there is not a cats chance of peeing in hell that I will seal and repaint before the carpet goes down on Wednesday!!

20. Shedend33

Shedend33 New Member

We're joining the club. Painted our nursery over half term for our baby due in august and for the past week it's been uninhabitable. We actually had transco
    Out before we realised it was the walls!!!! B and q are getting back to us this week but I'm not holding my breathe. We have a painter decorator coming tomorrow to have a look. From what I can gather the suggestions are either an alkalin sealer or that BIN stuff. What are people opting for! Livid!