CH Pipe work rework

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Plus I now use a small inspection mirror to check all the pipework joints, made errors in past especially with 22mm joints leaving voids as solder doesn't always flow around.

A quick check in the mirror saves a lot of hassle later on.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Nearly a year later and am back on this again :oops:

While bedroom was empty and decorating anyway decided to redo the pipework.

From the 2x couplers, pipe was all in 15mm, which would have supplied a double radiator in bedroom, a large double in Lounge and a single one in new landing area.

Lounge didn't get very hot during winter as only one drop which supplied the lounge (type 21), hallway (type11) and kitchen (type 11).
    upload_2017-5-23_18-31-48.png

Notching all clean up to accept the large size pipe. Had a good vacuum to get rid of debris in the void.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-32-36.png

upload_2017-5-23_18-32-57.png

This 15mmm branch will supply the new radiator in landing, it has just been capped off with a push fit for now, and plan to finish this when the radiator comes next week. If I had the radiator now could have connected in place to work out the pipe work and leave tails and valves closed off :(
    upload_2017-5-23_18-33-58.png

Double panel radiator in bedroom, used and modified existing pipework to suit.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-33-6.png

Herring bone struts were fitted so pipe had to be positione accordingle, some felt on the pipe stop conact with the woodedn strut.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-33-18.png

Could only get smaller lengths of pipes through open floorboards, these were joined in sections and supported on a batten.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-33-35.png

upload_2017-5-23_18-42-36.png

New drop in lounge to supply radiator. Haven't got picture of the elbows used, but was very difficult to solder in such a confined space. Was going to use copper pushfit.

Drops had to have and offset to clear the joist. Used the old pipe which is only a few years old. Just make sure it is clean of paint.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-44-36.png

All connected back to radiator. A drain point is already position for future draining of system for this drop.
    upload_2017-5-23_18-44-49.png

Parents want trunking to cover pipework, I used Talon pipe clips so should be able to use the cover.Will need to be angle it to cover over the offset. Painted wouldn't look too bad.

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Checked the system today, unfortunately had one leak :(

I knew it would be one or two of the elbows on the drop feed. Drained the pipework and tried to reheat the joint and reapply solder and flux, system re-pressurized and still leaking. Tried again and it still leaking, at this point wanted to give up...

The best thing was to reheat the fitting and replace it.

Two elbows for drop feed, very difficult to see with floorboard over it and limited access. Wooded batten should have been removed to gain better access or should have used copper push fits here.
    upload_2017-5-24_13-48-51.png

Removed fitting showing no solder did clean fitting and apply solder, may have heated joint up too much and resulted in flux burning. Sometimes use the brush in flux tub to go around joint after heating. Think the flux has been contaminated with little bits inside. Looking to get a new pot just to keep for 'new joints only'.
    upload_2017-5-24_14-1-3.png

Purchased one of these mirrors last year, has a light and very useful for checking under and around joints, escpecially 22mm ones.
    upload_2017-5-24_14-1-59.png

Two isolation valves in full bore 22mm, this will supply 2x radiators in loft. Plan on installing a drain point on each pipe so loft can be isolated separately from main system.
    Valves were checked for any leaks, used a spray trigger to removed water in the pipe, one of Tom's tips ;)
    upload_2017-5-24_13-50-14.png

Two push fit speed stop ends fitted for extra back up and prevent debris from entering pipework until I carry on with loft.
    upload_2017-5-24_13-49-29.png

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Joints all fine now, system all good and holding.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What was the reason for choosing a Combi boiler Jit? Only interested

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had the boiler fitted in about 6 years ago.
    Originally house had a Potterton flamingo in the kitchen with a combined cylinder and FE tank in the airing cupboards. Although system was reliable decided to have it replaced when having kitchen replaced and relocated to other side. 6 radiators before, there will be 11 when complete. Just wanted something small as doing loft conversion at present. House is only 2 bedroom.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

All good Jit, thanks for your reply as always interested in seeing what people choose with respect to boilers etc. What make of boiler is it Jit?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went for a Worcester 27CDi at the time, its quite large as was planning on the loft at the time. Its no longer made now.

Been all ok so far.

If larger house would go for a cylinder system unvented.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think future would be solar heating, especially with the hot weather we are having recently :)

Loft windows were boiling hot when touching the flashing's.

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Worcester boilers are excellent - I have used a Worcester system boiler which is fitted in my utility room and it has never missed a beat.

Being old skool myself have always tried to use system boilers as opposed to combi's, either S or Y plan normally (depending on size of property) and always vented cylinders. Not in the game now though, but still hold that working philosophy in my gaff.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Agree with the solar heating being used more and more in the future - I think its the only logical way forward tbqh Jit.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Checked this morning and noticed a small wet patch n the ceiling in lounge. Luckily didn't fill system up too high.

Nightmare to fix, drained system and reheated joint. Solder wouldn't take no matter how much heat was applied.

Then decided to heat up joint and replace with new one.

Going to get a new tub of flux just to keep for cleaning joints, a bad practice I have picked up from a plumber :oops: applying the flux brush on joint after soldering which brings contaminants into flux and ended up with dry joints.

Going to take more time in preparing joints and ensuring they are clean.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-5-25_12-46-31.png

When you have situation like that, I prefer to make up the part seperately. two sections of pipe & bend solder,then place in situ, marked where offset needs to be, & bend with spring & then solder in place using couplings,using wet rags to stop heat softening other joints, extra work, but you know it won't leak.

Jitender likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I could have put a 90 bend on the offsets drops at the same time I had thought it through.

Will try the wet rag idea next time. Had this trouble with the other joints which got affected by the heat resulting in more leaks :mad:

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I find this flux is excellent, and I wont use anything else

Everflux.jpg

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is your flux Laco by any chance Jit?

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yea been using laco flux.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I'm going to order one of those pots worth a try.:)

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Jit as I say its the only flux I will ever use, but you know I cannot guarantee that it will suit you - buy the smallest pot first m8 and feel it on a bit of spare pipe - say a couple of stabs of 22mm with a straight ef coupler. I presume you are using lead free solder (you can use leaded on ch but I dont) remembering lead free needs a slightly higher blowing temp then leaded. Also are you using yellow or red cylinders on your torch (I presume its MAPP)

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Using the yellow Mapp cylinder. Always use lead solder on CH pipes and lead free on water pipes (potable).

I purchased the smaller tub 80g.