Driveway - Crushed Asphalt - surface flooding question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alexjb1989, May 22, 2017.

1. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi All,

I've just had my driveway dug out 150mm.

The plan is to have a membrane down -- then 110mm of crushed asphalt -- then 40mm of 20mm natural
    stone.

However, our area is very clay and it tends to pool quite bad in one corner. So I have dug out the worst offending corners a another 150mm approx. Someone suggestion I should fill the worse area with stone first.

My question is, what sort of stone? I'm assuming I shouldn't just fill that end with more crushed asphalt as that won't leave much room for water to drain. I think the person was getting at something like 10mm crushed shingle?

So the plan would be --- fill the area I dug extra out of will crushed shingle ---
    membrane down -- then 110mm of crushed asphalt -- then 40mm of 20mm natural
    stone.

Does this sound sensible?

I've showed a pic to show how it pools (that's the area I have now dug out).

I know this will never get away fully from flooding in bad down pours, but every little helps!?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Did you train the ducks to pose for the pic.:D:D:D:D

If you use MOT Type 1 instead of crushed asphalt it will become water proof so any water will run off it as opposed to through it, still use the membrane under it to spread the load and suppress weeds.

alexjb1989 likes this.
  3. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Ha! the ducks moved in within 10 mins of the heavy rain!

Ok thanks for that,

If I use MOT type 1, will I need to put a gradual slope in it so it runs off? Not sure If I can really, as that would mean I would have to build it up quite high the other end towards the picket fence.

I've attached a pic to show what I mean. Or am I over complicating it? And you would suggest MOT type 1 either way?

As always, I appreciate all the help!

Attached Files:

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Make sure the membrane is a geotextile suitable for driveways. Notice an inspection chamber on the driveway and they need to be rate for 10T.

Can get a recessed removable tray which can be filled in with tarmac.

Could make a soakaway and use a crate but need to work out the right size.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Been quite dry so ground is hard which won't take water.

Could try digging a test pit and filing with water, I'm sure there's something on the net about draining times etc.

Or could install a linear drain?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Aah! ducks :)

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The OP isn't laying a tarmac drive though, having said that 150mm MOT Type1 would be better.

alexjb1989 likes this.
  9. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Cheers Guys.

Maybe I will just stick to the original plan but use MOT Type 1.

For the inspection chamber, No doubt there are lots of rules about weights etc. But I've rolled over loads of them at work with a roller and never broken one, so as long as I'm carful with the whacker I don't think I will do any damage.

10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

I would fill it with water & let the Ducks back in, much better looking than asphalt ;)