Timber Framing a Barn

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by jimdad07, Jan 17, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The opportunity to work on jobs like that are too scarce but then lugging beams and poles around is a bit of a young guys game now. TBH after wrestling with a Kudox radiator today, I think I will start making models out of match sticks

jimdad07 likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Having the chance to work with oak beams was intresting, but it's a youngsters job, too old now for all that now.

But, I have a Type 22 4' Kudox to fit here, I keep putting the job off, got a 19 year old here, but he frighten of getting his hands dirty or hard work like helping to lift radiator.
    Got a 8' single Type 10 panel to replace upstair as well, darn heavy, again I've been making excuses, but it's started leaking along the bottom so I have no choice now.:(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a 22 year on and a 18 year old, the subtlest thing he could us is a sledgehammer and the other would struggle to even pick it up :)

I replaced a 800 x 300 single with a type 22 of the same size. Must have taken about 30 mins to free the plastic access inserts. They had been sprayed over and even with my waggoners screwdriver which fitted in the cross nicely the damn things were chewing up rather than coming loose.

Then realised then there was a faff with the getting the pipes and brackets to line up because of what the muppet that fitted the original one had done. What had planned to be a nice simple job swapping virtually like for like, turned out to be most of the day.

The when I pulled off the PVC window profiles to fit a new window cill, radiator cover and trim, I found this.

upload_2017-1-23_22-46-38.png upload_2017-1-23_22-47-22.png upload_2017-1-23_22-48-13.png

The window had obviously been wider and someone had fitted a smaller window and packed it out but not the top and bottom corner. All thats on the outside is render with the trim on the inside and it appears that the inside architrave was what was stopping rattling So no wonder the people were complaining about the room being cold.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had identical thing here.

5. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Sounds like most of the 19 year olds here in the states, don't want to work, don't know how to work and can't tell them what to do. Good luck with that.

6. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Well it's been awhile since I've updated here so I thought I'd show you guys where I'm at. Stood another bent this past weekend and had the camera rolling. It went well. I have quite a few videos in between now and the last time but you guys can find them through this one If interested.

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So long days there. Brave guy putting that frame up yourself .... sometimes though if you have someone who doesn't know what they are doing you are better of by yourself

8. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

You are right, sometimes it is simpler to work alone. I think it lends to better problem solving skills.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Certainly get more innovative moving things around, lifting and spending a fortune on different clamps to hold things in place :D

jimdad07 likes this.
  10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What a decent chap - nice to see projects from other countries.

jimdad07 likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Top quality video also

jimdad07 likes this.
  12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Everybody likes a grafter

jimdad07 likes this.
  13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

And that scenery looking from the barn is absolutely fantastic

jimdad07 likes this.
  14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You know what - even the music score on the video is brill (do love classical music) - thank goodness its not that rap stuff.

jimdad07 likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

or banjo music ;)

KIAB and jimdad07 like this.
  16. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Banjo music? I don't know what you've heard about us cousin kissing Yanks, but can assure you it's probably true!

I am glad I found you folks here, it is a great experience to talk to people from where our people originated and also to see how people from across the ocean think...even if some of them are a bit Daffy.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't know what your missing, some great banjo players around, youngsters today.:)

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

:D:D

BTW you have to watch out, some the English on here, probably practice their ancient martial art. It is quite scary to watch.

The one thing you probably miss working alone is what we call "banter" - when guys on a work site have a laugh and tease each other about things, which if a lawyer was present in any other workplace would normally result in a lawsuit :D

jimdad07 and KIAB like this.
  19. jimdad07

jimdad07 Member

Last tie beam!

20. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hi Jimdad, I hope you're going to show us a video of the scarf joint being cut. ;);)

jimdad07 likes this.