Table saw for cutting 600mm cross cut ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 27, 2017.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi I'm looking for a table saw to chop boards and worktop into pieces, max height of pieces would be 60mm.

I would like a soft start, and a quiet motor if poss?

It's to be set up in a small garage size workshop.

Looking to spend £600 is that possible? Or is the Axminster one at £900 a lot better than the
    £600 ones ? Think is the aw10 ?

I had a £150 Ryobi one before, dreadful thing, if you tightened the fence up it went 10 mm out of true. So noisy and brutal.

So a support at each end of fence would be good.

I see screwfix have one for £600? Scheppach ts82 ? Any good?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have had a Jet table saw from Axminster for around 10 years - this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jts-315-s-site-saw-bench-ax32026 looks very similar. I have been totally satisfied with it.

Do you have an Axminster branch close to you? the one in High Wycombe for example has a lot of the larger tools on display and under supervision you can try them out as well as seeing how good the build quality is.

I also bought the optional Right Hand table extension and have used it to cut down 8'x4' sheets of ply.

3. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I'd be inclined to use a plunge saw for boards and worktops. It's much easier to run a saw down a stationary length of worktop than run a length of worktop through a small table saw. Same goes with boards (I'm guessing you mean 8x4 ply, MDF, chipboard etc.). A plunge saw will be cheaper, give a finished cut and be more accurate.

I used to have a Scheppach TS2500 table saw with all the extensions (sliding table, out-feed and side tables etc.). Great piece of kit but I would still my Festool TS55 for boards and worktops even if I still owned the Scheppach.

If you must have a Table saw I'd recommend spending the £900 on a good second hand one. You will get a much better quality saw for your money.

To me this looks a bargain:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/scheppach...625633?hash=item33cf528c21:g:mYcAAOSwKytZJWqU

Jitender and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

GoodwithWood likes this.
  5. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks the majority of the boards would only be 550mm X 450mm, but 60mm thick. I did see that one but I think it would be to big for my garage.
    The cheaper ones seem to be a little smaller.

I've been looking on eBay for second hand ones but non near me, actually this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112399274708 is not to far away

Don't think I would need the sliding table attachment so maybe could sell that on?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sliding table attachment isn't cheap to buy, around £600, you might not need it today, but tomorrow is another day, & if you decide to sell the saw bench at a later day date, then having the sliding table will make your item more sellable.

You be surprise how much you will actually use a sliding table, had one for my kitty & surprisingly it got a lot of use.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Will see how much it goes for, the table is £900 ish and the sliding attachment is £600 ish.

I was watching a kity and it had sliding attachment etc, it was the open leg one but only went for £230, I forgot to bid and local to me

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shame, great saw Kitty, still spares available, sad day when I had to sell mine due to lack of space when I moved house.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not used my festoll track saw to cut worktops only used it on doors so far.

Not used regularly but a life saver when needed.

10. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Any views on a Dewalt DW745 rs ? vs Scheppach ts82
    I know they are meant for different work, mobile vs workshop but just watched a video of someone who has built a work station around it.
    I like the rack and pinion fence and it does 600mm cut on right

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You shouldn't cross cut 600 mm directly on a table saw. The best way to do it is via a sled which slides in the t-slot groove of the table.

The surface area of a table saw is academic as most people build outfeed and side tables to handle longer / wide boards.

I have a festool track which I use to rough dimension bigger boards. Then finish on a table saw. The track saw problem is making sure the edge being cut is 90 to the rest - even a little bit will throw out the accuracy of your cabinets making drawers and doors difficult to fit.

So I would spend my money on medium spec saw, a decent blade, build sleds and accessory tables and get a good dust extractor facility