Best way to fill chases

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by leesparkykent, May 26, 2017.

1. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering what you think is the best way to fill In chases? From materials to use, methods, what grade sand paper etc. It's not something I've really done on a big scale, just the odd chase here and there. If it's something I might feel comfortable doing I might offer it as part of a rewire in the future. Cheers.

2. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton New Member

All depends on the situation - In a general, complete renovation task where its all to be replastered, I'd go with a bag of bonding & fill so its flush to the existing surface.

Then they can skim over when ready.

If it's just to patch your works then: bond to leave a 5mm depth, with a top coat of finish to complete.

Nothing of which I am an expert at, just works for me.

3. You should not use bonding on outside walls because it attracts moisture.

BMC2000 likes this.
  4. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton New Member

Ok....! Who in their right mind would do that?

It says EXISTING surface not EXTERNAL surface.

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

External wall, inner surface, Deleted member 11267 means Hugh :)

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Lee I used to do my own chases but found it a real ball ache used take me all day to do them, now I get plasterer in gets job done quicker and neater

leesparkykent likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Chase out. Thinned Pva as soon as possible down the chase so it dries. Run wires down. Bonding plaster to fill. Sponge off edges clean. Keep running a straight edge/ trowel up and down and sponge clean edges. Make sure the bonding is set back slight by running your trowel across chase just as it's setting. You can use multi finish the same day but might be better to leave bonding plaster over night. Day 2. Seal with Pva. Spread multi finish up and down. Sponge off edges to keep clean but 1 multi finish mix should do it. Hand garden spray water on surface and polish off. I can't tell you the timings as you will need to work that out for yourself. Get the bonding plaster to a thick mix but the finish plaster to a wiped cream consistency. Get a mirka dustless sander and Vac if you can or the mirka hand sander about £30. 120 grade is perfect for sanding plaster. Some times you need to multi finish mixes,last one being a thin mix just to finish off. Watch youtube for how tos but nothing beats having a go. May go a little slow at the start but you will soon get the speed up

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Lee don't be tempted in doing your own plastering unless you have plenty of spare time were you will be smoothing your chases untill you are happy which could take a while, move onto next job

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmm filling in chases - Pva first, and then I use bonding plaster (sand and cement with damp proofer and accelerator for inner wall onto external) and pull down hard with trowel, and then whip up some filler and with a euro filling knife tool down. When dry ally oxide 120 on block. Lot of messing and faffing about, but if the price is right for you tradesmen so be it. Excellent result? Not as good as re plastering the whole wall or whatever, but the pros would be better.

Last edited: May 28, 2017