Grey putty plaster identification and repair

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by noveltybobble, Jun 19, 2017.

1. noveltybobble

noveltybobble New Member

I've been redecorating a bedroom in my house. The walls previously were previously wallpapered with woodchip which I've been stripping back in order to cover with lining paper and paint...

Predictably the plastering is in a bit of a **** state, but one wall has an area of this grey putty-like stuff which appears to have been used as some sort of repair filler (rather than being plastered). The putty has got a big screw hole (from shelves) as well as lots of grooves because it is flexible to the touch. I need to fill and smooth over it but I don't know what's best to use. Can anyone tell me what this grey stuff is? And can I use just normal filler and / or patch plaster over it? Or should i find similar stuff and use that? As I said it dents if I press it and crumbles a little bit too if scraped.

It's located in the recess to the right of a disused chimney breast, 1st floor, external wall, of a late victorian semi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Having it skimmed would be a lot simpler!!!

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely.:)

4. noveltybobble

noveltybobble New Member

Haha, yes, fair point. But it is a small area relative to the rest of the wall and the lining paper approach has worked well on the other walls. And of course I want to save money by doing it myself...

Could you please tell me if using putty that stays flexible is normal practice? I can't seem to find much on the internet about it and not sure why it would've been chosen over re-skimming or patch plastering in the first place.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely not normal, no idea what it is, remove all of it & replaster the area,would prime by giving area a coat of pva diluted 4 to 1, will help plaster to adhered.

As it's a disused chimney, is the wall dry, no damp issues causing putty to remain damp?

teabreak likes this.
  6. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Might be where some bodies filled previous damage , but not very well

teabreak likes this.
  7. noveltybobble

noveltybobble New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty certain it's not remained damp, judging by the rest of the wall being fine. It's also quite old (based on the wallpapering) so I think an underlying damp problem would've worsened elsewhere by now.

I have seen some references about a repair fillers that remain flexible so I guess it must be something like that. I haven't removed it yet, but hoping it's not too deep a recess...

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Floor tile adhesive maybe? Cement based tack that someone has used to repair wall. If it's stuck ok then leave and make good