Vaillant ecoTEC combi 938 (with a little tank inside)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diy_nixy, Jun 27, 2017.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Hello

I am thinking of having this boiler installed. Combi with a small tank inside the back which should take care of kids switching on the tap when you want a shower etc.

Does anyone see any major problems with my decision. Its quite expensive at nearly £1600 though.

Replacing old Vaillant combi boiler in same location (located in a airing cupboard)

My cold water mains pressure is over 20l/min with a quick bucket test.
    4-bed cold detached house. 3-persons. 2 Showers. 3 toilets.

Pros
    39.5 KW for hot water output.
    20.5 litres/min max flow when little tank is full (15 litre tank)
    18.5 litres/min at 3O-deg temp rise.

Vaillant website
    https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/ecotec-plus-combination-938-1152.html

Installation instruction manual
    https://www.vaillant.co.uk/download...2015/0020209593-01-ecotec-plus-938-559182.pdf

Price - £1500.
    http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/...currency=GBP&gclid=CM2-taCe3tQCFcyd7Qod-TMDnQ

Plus flue and controls to buy I suspect.

Going to get some quotes from installers very soon.

P.S. I don't see it essential to have a large hot water tank and cost of storing water all day/night without much being used. Mainly morning or evening only. 18l/min DHW flow rate should be enough.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I have installed three of these in the past, they are good and serve a larger house in between going for unvented and just a combi.
    Like you say they are expensive but if you get a Vaillant advance installer you can get up to ten years warranty on it.
    One thing I would point out if you intend to put in in the airing cupboard check the clearances first as these boilers are almost twice the depth of a conventional combi. I have seen one where they had to take the door off as it wouldn't close.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

KIAB will be along momentarily...

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-6-27_17-24-25.gif

Can't fault them.

Nothing more I can add.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can use Vaillant vSMART app with the 938 allowing contol from your mobile, also you can fit weather compensation VRC470F to the boiler,got it on my Vaillant 824,find it quite useful.

6. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks for advice. Will see what my local installer stays.

Does anybody know what advance installer means on the Vaillant website? I guess its their list of approved installers which entitles longer warranty. Do you have to pay for the longer warranty or are you basically paying for it as a hidden cost in the installation along with a host of cleaning measures/flushes?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ask Dave, or send him a pm.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

An advance installer we can offer you an extended warranty of up to 5 or 7 years on certain products compared to a non advance installer who can only offer you 2 years as standard. We as advance installers also have the option of offering you an extended warranty of up to 10 years but this involves you paying up to £200 to extend to the maximum.
    All warranties are subject to an annual service, so when this is done please ensure you have the instalation mannual avaliable for the service engineer to fill in the service record section each year.
    We are also taught to leave some specific fault codes on the boiler so should you need a warranty call the Valiant engineer knows its been installed and serviced by an Advance engineer.

As for the host of cleaning measures as you put it, these are essential to ensure the prolonged running of the boiler throughout its expected lifetime. Modern HE boilers have much smaller waterways than compared to an old cast iron heat exchanger so need a cleaner system. A cleaner system is also a more efficient system as it heats and circulates better than a dirty system. At the end of the day you wouldn't pour dirty oil into a new engine so why fit a new boiler to a dirty system.

KIAB likes this.
  9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Thanks all for your advice guys a few weeks ago. I got my boiler installed last week. I chose a Vaillant Ecotec Green iQ843 (43Kw Combi). Its an expensive boiler (£2000) but should hopefully be efficient and reliable. The Vaillant website is brilliant for finding their approved "Advance Installers". Reasonably priced too I thought. Most charged £400 - £500 per day labour which involved a full days work (in Bristol) (8-6pm). The installer was brilliant and followed all the modern regs to great detail. I got 3 quotes in just 2-days. Within 2 weeks I had a new boiler.

7-year warranty included by approved Installer. I paid an extra £180 to get the 10-year warranty.

Dave does Gas and KIAB like this.
  10. Romeo Danaila

Romeo Danaila New Member

Hi! I am in the same situation as you. I want to be able to use both showers in the same time. Could you please tell me if your combi copes with both showers on at the same time?
    Or could someone recommend a combi that could do that ?
    4 bed semi detached house
    2 bathrooms
    11 cast iron radiators (I only mention that because I know they take longer to get hot)