What flooring to lay under tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by doggy1970, Jul 26, 2017.

1. doggy1970

doggy1970 New Member

Hi all. Quick question, I'm getting my 2x2 bathroom floor and walls tiled. The chip board is rotten and has been lifted.
    For me it makes sense to lay 18mm marine ply and tile on top of that. Is this the best option?

Thanks in advance

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, but you may want to lay dittra matting onto the ply first, then tile on top of that, better job, if not, prime ply with sbr or Tilers primer and then tile over top. Either ways use flexible adhesive and flexible grout.

3. doggy1970

doggy1970 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Other folk have spoke of "no more ply" and "backer board", my tiler suggested resheeting with chipboard and then 12mm ply on top of that. It's very confusing, I'm just worried about the tiles breaking and water getting through.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Go for Hardie Flooring - T&G cement and cellulose fibe boards 19 or 22 thick. Screw into place and tile straight on them. May be a little more expensive but when you consider the time saving and any hassle or overlaying, it is a worthwhile solution.

https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/product/hardiefloor/

5. doggy1970

doggy1970 New Member

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select