Gas pipe electrical equipotential bonding

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by risca_boy, Sep 17, 2017.

1. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

I have just had a new gas supply fitted and central heating installed. Inside the gas meter housing is a note from the gas meter installers saying that the gas installation pipework may not have Electrical Equipotential bonding correctly fitted.

I mentioned this to the c/h installer who told me that I needed to get an electrician to come and install an earth spike and clamp to bond it to earth.

Is this correct or should it be connected to the mains electrical earth bonding point at the electic meter which will be extremely difficult as it the other side of the house.

Should this have been done when the c/h was installed?

Thanks

2. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

I'm only DIY but my 10mm earth is connected between the gas meter trac pipe and the earth block on the incoming block adjacent to the incoming supply. My GS guy was happy with this. If yours is too far away, an earth rod may be the only alternative. Consult a sparks about this.

risca_boy likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I always thought gas fitters weren't allowed to connect the gas unless it's bonded back to main earth terminal!

risca_boy likes this.
  4. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

I'm not sure at all. He is Gas Safe registered. I looked on the form he had to complete to say it was installed correctly and cant see anything on there about earth bonding.

5. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

Think I'll have to, but I'm not happy if it should have been done during the installation.

6. nigel willson

He wouldn't had to do it but he should have told you that it should have been done

risca_boy likes this.
  7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

It needs to done, normally done by a spark, run 10mm earth from main earth terminal, if that to much upheaval put earth rod in plumbers generally pass this on

risca_boy likes this.
  8. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

Thanks Nigel, My argument will be that I paid to have full central heating supplied, not expecting to now have to pay more to an electrician to complete the installation.

9. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

Thanks, as I said to Nigel I think it should have been done during the installation

10. Sparkielev

It not something plumbers do prob didn't have cable on van anyway most I know pass the job on

11. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

You can't put an earth rod in and connect it to the gas...The purpose of main bonding is to create a equipotential zone and in the event of a fault any exposed conductive parts and extraneous conductive rise to the same potential equally. The gas pipe needs bonding and connecting to the main earthing terminal. Putting a rod in and connecting it to the gas is leathel as it's goes against the whole purpose of bonding...

risca_boy likes this.
  12. Sparkielev

Your right lee not sure what I was thinking

risca_boy and leesparkykent like this.
  13. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

We all have our off days mate;)

risca_boy and Sparkielev like this.
  14. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

Back again. I've found a 10mm earth cable running under floor boards which is only about 4 metres away from the incoming gas pipe next to the boiler. Could I tee in to this earth cable as it goes back to the consumer unit?
    Hopefully this will save a load of work.

Thanks in anticipation.

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Good point, I guess the clue's in the word "equi-potential" :p

16. nigel willson

No. You can only use that cable if you had a load of slack and could get it to gas pipe. You can't cut it.it will be the one that goes to ut water main bond? You could disconnect that one ,run it to the new gas then crimp and extend the new cable back to the water!

risca_boy likes this.
  17. risca_boy

risca_boy New Member

Thanks Nigel. Not sure where it is going to tell the truth. Think I'll just have to pull up some floorboards and run a seperate earth for the gas.
    Thanks for your help.