Theresa May has soared in my estimation.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 17, 2017.

1. The transcript of the speech she's going to give on Brexit has been released:

“Leadership is about confronting the great challenges. And Brexit is the biggest challenge we have faced since the second world war. So I intend to devote my speech to this alone.

“First, I want to explain why I voted remain – because for all its faults, the European Union has been a force for good in Europe and in the UK. I believed that our future prosperity and security, and opportunities for our young people, would be enhanced by staying in.

"Second, I want to explain why, nonetheless, I was something of a reluctant remainer. The truth is, there is a lot wrong with the EU. So though I voted remain, I was not starry-eyed. I was determined that, had we won, we would also fight for reform.

“Third, I want to explain why I have been trying so hard to deliver the Brexit the people voted for. It was a close result. But leave won. I felt strongly that it was my duty to deliver the only Brexit that I believed could meet the demands of the majority of leavers – out of the single market and the customs union, out of the European court of justice.

“But precisely because I have a profound sense of duty, I want to tell you the absolute truth as I see it. It cannot be done. Yes, you can shout. You can storm out. But I have looked at it every which way. And, as your leader, I have concluded that it cannot be done without enormous damage to our economy, to your living standards, to our public services, to our standing in the world. This is damage I am not prepared to inflict. The cost is too high.

“I will publish the legal advice that I have the right to unilaterally revoke article 50, and if you look behind me you will see the backdrop has gone and instead there is onscreen the letter I will be sending to Donald Tusk and the EU's 27 heads of government later today.

“I say to Boris, to Michael, to Liam, and to their acolytes, it is decision time. If you feel you don’t wish to listen to the arguments I will make, then you know what you have to do. I am ready for any challenge, confident that finally I will be able to fight for what I believe is the right course for Britain, and confident that once the public have the proper debate we failed to have during the referendum and the election, that my view can prevail in the country.

“The Labour party will also have to make up its mind. Most Labour MPs support the position I am setting out today, though their leadership may need to be persuaded. We may need a general election to settle this. At some point we may need a referendum to reverse the outcome of the first one. I am aware I am launching something here, the course of which is unpredictable. I am prepared to take all the risks attached to that. For I am no longer willing to pretend. I am no longer willing for the delusions of the few to dictate a strategy for the many, when so much is at stake.

“I will also be publishing the sectoral advice papers we have received on the impact of Brexit on all aspects of our national life, so MPs can debate these fully. I know many of you think I might be ill. I feel a lot better now. Because what has been making me ill is the reality of which I have been certain more each day; that Brexit is a disaster, a potential catastrophe for our country. That my duty now is to steer the country to the only sensible decision I can see – a rethink, a change of course: not hard Brexit or soft Brexit, but no Brexit at all.”

Fab - what a woman. Strong and stable at last.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
    Lanc and KIAB like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Good reaction :)

KIAB likes this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Indeed

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You sure this isn't a wind up?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. If only it was true, it would be the sign of a strong and stable leader.

Would get my support and I would believe and be more likely to trust her in future too.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I personally think the best solution is if we were to remain in a drastically reformed EU, but that ain't gonna happen.

9. Yes I agree. Have never said the EU is perfect, lots needs to change. But much better than the alternative we are getting, well sort of getting.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You know what we are getting? Oh please do share!! :p

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  11. Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  12. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Alistair Campbell in the Guardian.

Brexit looks like it will never happen.

13. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

DA will be furious.
    You've misspelled his name!

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

After reading about half way, I thought 'where's he got this from?'......
    ....It must be the Guardian.

It only got better on discovering that it was penned by the master propagandist, Alastair Campbell.

15. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

The pre-Euro Dutch currency, the Guilder, has an ancient etymology.
    The word Guilder is related to the English words golden and guild via the old German word for money: Geld.
    Originally the dutch currency was the "Gulder" (also from the German).

Centuries ago many Europeans from (what we now call) the Netherlands often traded with the people of East Anglia.
    If you were someone who took the Dutch gold you were known to be "Guldable".
    East Anglians often drop the "D" in the middle of words. For example, Nord-folk (north folk) becomes Norfolk and Nordwich became Norwich.
    Unfortunately those European rogues often bought adulterated gold with them.
    So the word for someone who is easily duped changed from 'Guldable' to 'Gulable' and eventually (after people invented spelling) to 'Gullible'.

16. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Are you suggesting our DA is Golden.

More 3rd place so Bronze at best.

Or in Dutch, Bronzen.

Or should that be Brazen.

17. Oh, it can. It can.

18. Nice :D

19. Damn, that is nearly as clever as btiw2! :eek:

:)

Isitreally likes this.