Baxi Solo 2 PF won't start

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MarcoAtkins, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MarcoAtkins

MarcoAtkins New Member

I'd appreciate any help, coz boilers ain't my strong point!

The boiler won't start when I switch it on, therm on max.
    The fan light is on and boiler light is on. I hear a low humming noise.

There's no pilot light and both the pilot light light and burner light are off.

We had BG out a few months back when it wouldn't start, he unclipped the front, tapped then lubbed the fan and all was well.

Any thoughts guys?

2. mully123

mully123 New Member

That humming your hearing is more than likely a seized fan,if the fan dont turn,the ignition sequence will not start,therefore no burner working.I do hope this has been of help to you,if the probs still persist,do not hesitate to ask any further questions of this Forum.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Very nicely phrased mully, and very helpful too. :O

4. MarcoAtkins

MarcoAtkins New Member

Thanks mully, I think you're right. I'd like to unclip the front myself and give the fan a tap and see if that'll fix it.

However, I'm not sure if it's dangerous to unclip the front to do that? Am I exposing anything?

5. mully123

mully123 New Member

I coulndnt possibly tell you remove screws at bottom of casing,lift off,squirt some wd40 onto spindle of fan,then spin manually. Make sure all electrics are isolated to boiler before attempting this.refit cover and give her a whirl,Bingo

Felim Doyle likes this.
  6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

refit cover and give her a whirl...BOOM! ;)

You are all helpfulness and charm tonight Mully.

I must say I find it quite un-nerving.

7. MarcoAtkins

MarcoAtkins New Member

I removed the cover and had a poke, the fan started after a bit of coercion! It took several goes as the fan was sticking. However, the boiler is now lit and we're in action.

I'm out of WD40, but I'll get some tomorrow and give it a squirt at the top of spindle.

The fan obviously isn't knackered (not yet anyway) so hopefully it was just sticking.

Thanks to mully, this may well have saved me a few quid (famous last words).

8. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

WD40 won't last get some graphit grease or something. better still get a new fan cost about £80 easy job.

9. mad.max

mad.max New Member

The fan obviously isn't knackered (not yet anyway) so
    hopefully it was just sticking.

Goodness, a series of sensible posts. Seriously, though, research source and cost of nrew fan - it WILL stop again. I fitted one years ago and it was more than 80 notes, I think.

10. superfurryanimal

superfurryanimal New Member

graphit grease

what the fork is that TB

isnt that a hair product