1 bar electric fire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jason123, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

Hi fellas, we are currently removing our central heating and replacing with electric fires in every room, you know the decorative 50s period ones with the chromed reflector behind the element, its the only way of keeping the decor in line with the age of the building, what I'd like to know is, they all have round pin plugs, can I replace these, and I have measured the gap in the fuse carrier, I could upgrade the output by replacing 13a fuse with a 30mm piece of six inch nail, they get alot warmer doing this. Any advice much appreciated, Jas

2. lordna

lordna New Member

Actually to keep in period you should keep the round pin plugs and while your about it replace all the 13 amp sockets with 15amp round pin ones. The wiring will also need changing to rubber 7/029 radial circuits of course. This will of course be essential to getting that fishy burning bakolite smell when you get all the fires running.

Another tip - cut the central heating pipes in short lengths and use that for fuses. Copper is a much better conductor than steel and you will of course be doing your bit for the planet by recycling.

3. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

No need to replace the plugs. A decent clout with a lump hammer will modify the socket and plug sufficiently to ensure a connection of sorts. Fuses are for wusses.

4. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

I dont think you two are proper electricians, I managed to get the round pin plug into my existing socket with a swing of my 14lb sledge hammer, I now need advice on repairing the hole in my gable end.

5. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

Well, the use of a club hammer rather than a sledge shows more skill don't you think? I bet you forgot the wet bandage too!

Use some wet newspaper to fill the hole. Sellotape if you have problems.

6. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

What about expanding foam, thats what I repair my sandals with, keep my feet warm as well, just got to turn the heater down, get radiation burns on one side of my face.

7. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

That'll be because you hit it too hard. That's why a lump hammer is the right tool. Coil the cable up a bit - it'll slow the electricity down.

Expanding foam is alright for sandals but for holes in the wall wet newspaper is want you really want.

8. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

I dont need to slow down my electricity at all, I repositioned the consumer unit just below my TV aerial to give the electricity a good head, have just upgraded my oven to 22mm copper and is cooking well, any advice on the 3 phase set up for my plasma cutter tin opener, those fray bentos tins can be a struggle at times, I opened my last tin with a gouging rod on 300amps, 5 secs later the lid was off and the pie was cooked.

9. TonkaToy

TonkaToy New Member

That's going to leech your TV signal that is.

I'd go for a thermic lance myself. Mind you, you'd have to make sure its installed by a DACHSHUND certified engineer. Watch out for peeing in the parts too.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Excellent electrical advice chaps. I would give you a job anytime when the Court cases I am currently attending are resolved. I am being sued left right and centre just now. When thats over I call you if thats okay?

Just a tip for the added benefit of heat. The rubber sheathed wiring is excellent for adding extra heat to those electric fires. Just size it down a couple of notches and the glow you get just gives that extra edge on the efficiency of the heater.

UP

11. sim

sim Member

Hi fellas, we are currently removing our central
    heating and replacing with electric fires in every
    room, you know the decorative 50s period ones with
    the chromed reflector behind the element, its the
    only way of keeping the decor in line with the age of
    the building, what I'd like to know is, they all have
    round pin plugs, can I replace these, and I have
    measured the gap in the fuse carrier, I could upgrade
    the output by replacing 13a fuse with a 30mm piece of
    six inch nail, they get alot warmer doing this. Any
    advice much appreciated, Jas

I did the same thing last april, around the 1st, but with much less hassle.
    Instead of hiting the new square pin plugs in I, instead, just pushed in the bare conductors into the outlets and secured with matches, however bare in mind that matches are a good insulator when dry, but a bad insulator when damp.

The rubber insulation warmed the house up a treat, especially in winter, the tenants were really pleased with the economy of the installation. quote "we hardly use any electricity durring the winter, not surprising, really as the circuits were wired through the supply side of the incomming supply.

any way guys have to go as its lights out in 2 minutes

Best regards

sim H-M-P (open) channings wood

12. Red rawlplugs are a much better fit than matches. As they are wedge shaped they hold the flex better and of course they are insulated

13. sparks

sparks New Member

Red rawlplugs are a much better fit than matches. As
    they are wedge shaped they hold the flex better and
    of course they are insulated

You have to use Brown plugs now and ble for the neutral

14. Stoday

Stoday New Member

If you have the latest sockets, for rectangular pin plugs you don't have to bother with matchsticks, rawlplugs etc. Just stick a screwdriver in the big slot at the top and the shutters over the two smaller slots open. Stick your wires in, withdraw the screwdriver and the shutters hold your flex. Why do you think they make 'em like that?

As for sparks, innit time you got up to date mate, and replaces all those round pin sockets you have? :)

15. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

I had a rodent problem recently, I used a rusty old basting tin, with 1" of water in it, attached to this was an earth clamp off my arc welder, hanging over this was the electrode holder, on the end of the welding rod was a small square of cheese, I spun the current up to 140 amps, you have to position the welding rod just right to get the little bleeders standing on their back legs, it was most entertaining, sat on the patio with friends waiting for the lights to dim, and I nice little eek at the same time. I am looking for an outlet now for pre-cooked rodents, any takers?

16. Stoday

Stoday New Member

That sounds like great fun Jason. I had a wasp nest in the lawn. I got a length of pipe & poured meths down the hole. Then lit the meths. The flame is almost invisible in the summer sun & those wasps came flying from & to their nest to get their wings burnt off. :)