1 bed flat, no gas, under sink water heaters to replace immersion tank?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by kingthefoot, Apr 1, 2016.

1. kingthefoot

kingthefoot New Member

I own a1 Bed flat runs on eco 7, storage heaters, with a shower that heats water instantly. theres no room to really put a bath in so thats not an issue.
    So It makes sense to fit a small instant tank (like an under sink type thing) in the kitchen, and one in the bathroom.
    id like to put the one in the bathroom in the loft though directly above the basin, (just how important is it to Actually put it under the sink) as this is where the electrics are, and it will be well out of sight. so just how close does the tank need to be to the sink?

I also wondered if this is becoming a common procedure. one or two people living alone really do not need a full immersion tank being heated up all the time wasting electric and heated water. it seems logical but i am no expert in diy =]

thanks in advance

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The ones I have worked with, Quookers, have all had short outlet pipes and were under the sink. You have obviously need to run water to them and have a drain for the overheat safety valve as well as power.
    They aren't cheap but you can throw your kettle away.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think the OP is thinking more along the lines of the Ariston water heaters (other brands available) - not so much an "instant kettle"

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-andris-lux-europrisma-3kw-15ltr-undersink-water-heater/2371g

Seems he's looking at a way of providing instant hot water for washing up in kitchen and also for a quick hands and face scrub up in the bathroom

I fitted the above model myself with a mate but this was in a small workshop, along with some great advice from this site
    Cant give any advice re suitability but then again, this is what these heaters are designed for so cant see why not

You could have one unit providing hot water for multiple areas, just comes down to plumbing and volume of hot water required
    Ariston do a larger unit, 30ltr but think this needs some kind of building approval / notice.....?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought it was a bit over the top.
    Thinking back I have plumbed into one of those in a small tearooms I built. I ran 3 sinks off the one heater but they were close together.
    I suppose the only problem with a long run would be the amount of cold water in the pipe.
    I don't know if they work with the tap below the heater, it could siphon the water away but this is purely conjecture.

5. Owain

Owain Member

Unvented is max 15 litres unless you have an unvented hot water qualification and can supply one or two adjacent taps.

Vented under-sink requires special taps and will only supply one tap per heater. I don't see why the heater can't be mounted higher up though it wouldn't actually save much space as you usually need and have space under the sink anyway. Vented over-sink have an integral spout and are controlled by a knob on the incoming cold to the heater, so the heater has to be accessible.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Seems to me like a lot of expense and alteration work, I assume that being all electric you are on the economy seven tariff. If all you do is heat a wash basin and sink, then get a smaller immersion heater so you only heat the top of the tank. Job done for under £50.00.

7. kingthefoot

kingthefoot New Member

Ok guys thanks for all your advice and apologies for late response.

ok so yeah. basically I'm on economy seven and my immersion tank and all hot pipes are riddled with verdigris.
    The bathroom is a counter top sink on a floating shelf and the electrics for shower and such run through the (unfinished and pre plasterboarded loft) so if I can put the tank up there than great.

However. If there is a better alternative im not thinking of. or maybe to have one instant tank between the two. (middle point between two sinks must be about 3/4 metres of pipe)

I was think two small tanks for 100-150 each must be far less expensive (and cheaper to use) than buying, paying someone to fit, and heating another great big immersion tank.

what is this about special taps for under sink heaters? This wasn't something I knee about til now?

and um gonna look again into smaller immersion tanks because 50 quid sounds cheap? do you mean just the heating element inside the tank Dave does Gas. becaue the tanks kinda shot :/

again thanks for any help.