10.8v impact driver

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by plumberboy, Dec 26, 2014.

1. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good one.;)

Cheers Plumberboy.

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Has it got to be 10.8v ?

3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I've got a Dewalt impact, good bit of kit and last a fair amount of time on a charge, although almost had it stolen from the van on Christmas eve!

B J

plumberboy likes this.
  4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

A late Christmas shopper ????????????

5. plumberboy

Hi Flats.
    Just after something small and light really that i can just chuck in my plumbing kit bag as i do quite a bit of new install work for builders,the 18v ones look a bit like my combi drill big and clumsy.;)

6. plumberboy

Cheers B J;)
    Did you catch them in the act.:mad:

7. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I've got a 10.8 dewalt, had no problems. The makita may be a tiny bit more compact though since the battery is inside the handle.

plumberboy likes this.
  8. plumberboy

Thanks R.W. are they fairly powerful for the voltage?

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

plumberboy likes this.
  10. plumberboy

Thanks Tom,the reviews are very good as is the price and my local store have them in stock, I always use Erbauer core bits and find them really good.How do you find the power of the impact driver being 10.8v? As I think 18v maybe overkill.
    Cheers Tom ;)

11. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

yeah found the power fine, used them as my main set for a while at one point and drove in plenty of 100mm+ screws with no issue, think they come with 1.5ah batteries which when using all day needed charging once or twice but can get a 2ah (possibly more but i know screwfix sell the 2ah ones)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    plumberboy likes this.
  12. plumberboy

Thank you R.W. very helpful.;)

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the thing is i find the impact driver noisy and overkill, but handy for getting an old screw out, you know those brass screws in a toilet pan that just won't turn, well use the impact drill and they'll waltz out, but for everyday driving screws in I use the drill with a posi/phillips in the chuck, works great,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    plumberboy likes this.
  14. plumberboy

Thanks Tom.;)

15. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

No, Don't know what happened, guess they got disturbed, found the gear on the floor behind the van minus my mini angle grinder, with the back door lock punched through...not long replaced them as the last lot got taken in March, while I was working in a hotel...

B J

16. plumberboy

Blooooody *.:mad::(

Edited due to language by Screwfix Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  17. Total Plumb

Total Plumb Member

Iv got the Makita set with the Torch had 2 years and still going strong and I use it everyday. Perfect for a plumber and makes a good Hammer too ;-)

plumberboy likes this.
  18. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

19. ive got a 12 volt milwaukee drill i got for free when i opened my howdens account when i first went self employed and ive got to say its a brilliant small lightweight bit of kit and has more than enough grunt for general use infact i used it as my main driver until i could afford makita impactor and drill combo kit its a bit slow drilling into masonry but its not what it was designed for, i should imagine their 12 impactors are just as good :)

plumberboy likes this.
  20. A friend up country was unloading the presents from his van and came back out after one of the trips inside he came out to someone walking down the street with one of the kids bikes