100 amp fuse

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by copperkev0, Dec 9, 2007.

1. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

hi can someone explain to me whats the point of having a security tag on the 100 amp main fuse when from what i can see electricians just cut them off when changing cu's. are they allowed to do this ??? if so are the tags just there to stop the house holder from tampering. cheers.

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

ssssshhhhhh!

3. poheZ

poheZ New Member

seriously it wasnt me, it was the seal cutting fairies

4. betty swollocks

betty swollocks New Member

was like that when you moved in, wasn't it? honest m'lud

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I cut my seal on my cutout when I did my rewire a few months back..

Had the meter changed from key to ordinary last week..the meter man who changed it did not say anything and just resealed the cut out.

Not saying its right to cut the seals though..well you know.

6. FrostyBadger

FrostyBadger Member

its not legal but im sure the customer wont wait for a week without power while you change the CU and the DNO come back to fit the fuse

sometimes pulling it is the only option if there is no isolator

7. propper spark

propper spark Member

You would'nt beleave it but ive done hundreds of rewires and never ever seen any seals. How strange that is.

8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf New Member

Isolators, they take bout 6 weeks and cost bout £160 up here. So why bother?

9. Fanny mcSquirter

Fanny mcSquirter New Member

hi can someone explain to me whats the point of
    having a security tag on the 100 amp main fuse when
    from what i can see electricians just cut them off
    when changing cu's. are they allowed to do this ???
    if so are the tags just there to stop the house
    holder from tampering. cheers.

Cmon Kev you're the Copper you should know.

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

You would'nt beleave it but ive done hundreds of
    rewires and never ever seen any seals. How strange
    that is.

:)

11. copperkev0

copperkev0 Member

Ahhhhhhhh, cheers chaps.

12. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

I never break any of those seals myself, and usually get over any meter tail changes, by fitting a 100 Amp DP connector block.

You can call-in the supply company in at a later date if you wish. (Then you would loose that block).

You could open yourself to problems if you break the seals on a meter, as you may be suspected of by-passing the meter, and stealing electricity.

Mind you, when I was an apprentice on Seeboard all those years ago, we were allowed to break the seals, and the inspector would then come and re-seal. We were never allowed to have one of their special crimping pliers though.

In those days, meters were often jam-packed full with tails, and not just the one as required now, as there were always seperate switch-fuse units for each part of the house wiring. "Splitters" were the favourite then.

JS

13. Max 1

Max 1 New Member

There are no seals that I am aware of with seals on, however there is a seal on the actual meter itself. By cutting that seal, the meter digits can be tampered with enabling you to higher or lower the numbers, which therefore can reduce your bill and in turn is actually infact commiting fraud.

14. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Well I have never found a suppliers fuse that has a seal on it. They have always been missing, so somebody before me must have cut the seal. Since there's no seal, I can just pull the fuse out :)

15. Stoday

Stoday New Member

You are not supposed to be able to get at the cutout fuse without a tool. Hence it's sealed. It's an elf n safty requirement.

ElfNsafety is for use by trades unions, who want a set of unworkable rules so that they can work to rule as a form of industrial action.

ElfNsafety is also for bosses who don't want anything nasty sticking to them. ElfNsafety makes it stick to the worker instead.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Anyway some of the seals on the cutout (forget meter seals..do not interfere with them) are longish, and in some cases you can pull the fuse carrier out to the seal wire limit and wedge a piece of wood between the carrier and base..never had the bottle to work like that though..and certainly would not recommend the practice.

17. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

I pull them all day long dont worry in a court off law if you can prove your self right ZE ZS TNCS TNS TT know your readings and know how you got there? you will hang the jury dont worry pull em? if you have to.

18. 12RP200L

12RP200L New Member

When pulling a cutout fuse you are working on the distribution network. In law, you MUST be authorised to do this by the network operator and this authorisation must be re-taken every three years. Breaking cutout or meter seals renders you liable to prosecution for illegal abstraction of electricity.
    For years network operators have turned a blind eye to electricians pulling fuses as it saved fitting an isolator switch.
    I am an engineer for Scottish Power and will warn anyone working in either Scottish Power or MANWEB areas that this is no longer the case. Revenue Protection departments are now actively pursuing any electricians who are found to be breaking seals without authority both for revenue reasons and more importantly health and safety reasons.
    You have been warned!

19. SPARKS 001

SPARKS 001 New Member

BRCS aint got enough people to come and check it all out? thats why they got part p self certification on the go so the electric board aint that botherd if they see a new set of 25ml tails going in and the customer tells them we have just had major works done they will re seal the fuse and what else can they do at this stage, unless they see **** work at the end off it that rings alarm bells?

20. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> When pulling a cutout fuse you are working on the
    distribution network. In law, you MUST be authorised
    to do this by the network operator and this
    authorisation must be re-taken every three years.
    Breaking cutout or meter seals renders you liable to
    prosecution for illegal abstraction of electricity.[/
    i]

> For years network operators have turned a blind eye
    to electricians pulling fuses as it saved fitting an
    isolator switch.

True, to a degree!

I am an engineer for Scottish Power

There's 'Engineers' and Engineers at SP! :^O

and will warn
    anyone working in either Scottish Power or MANWEB
    areas that this is no longer the case. Revenue
    Protection departments are now actively pursuing any
    electricians who are found to be breaking seals
    without authority both for revenue reasons and more
    importantly health and safety reasons.
    You have been warned!

I'd like to see one single case where your RPU squad at Bromborough in the Manweb region has even instigated, never mind won an 'illegal abstarction' basis?

[Edited by: admin]