10A extension socket scenario

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Powergrid, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Powergrid

Powergrid New Member

Has anyone seen the 4 way pre-cabled mains extension sockets that have made an appearance in Wilkinsons, B&Q and supermarkets. Some of them are on-sale for as little as £3.00. Some of them are marketed under the "Masterplug" brand. They're wired with 1.0mm squared 318Y cable and are fused with a10A fuse in the plug-top.
    My issue is this: if the 10A fuse blows, 10A plug-top fuses are hardly commonplace and the consumer is very likely to replace it with a 13A fuse. Now 1.00mm 3183Y has a maximum amperage of 10A and will overheat if a greater current is drawn. Previously, virtually all extensions were wired with 1.25mm or 1.50mm capable of carrying 13A and 15A respectively.
    These extensions are a potential hazard and I've got no idea who the idiot was that allowed them to be marketed.
    Any thoughts?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Originate from the EU no doubt, like a lot of the other s*** we have here these days!

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Someone somewhere has done a risk assessment, even if the extension was overloaded for a short while there would be no real lasting effects, just look at your incoming supply cable size and compare it to the size of your meter tails, just saying!....
    And they must be CE compliant or they couldn't be marketed.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You mean like all those plug-in transformers that reportedly catch fire Rulland?

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Thats the ones mate, I isn't condoning cheap tat from across the water etc, but trading standards do apparently check stuff, and the CE mark should mean compliance to be used/sold in this neck of the woods.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Sorry Rulland, but that is incorrect.

CE marking really doesn't mean things are safe. China is one of the biggest problems for us.

If there is a problem with equipment coming into the EU then it can be reported and investigated through the various notified bodies. Failure to comply with the Directives are published on the EU RAPEX website

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safet...essionid=0900adc8851936adf3c25d775f4d392312ac

There are many failures carrying the CE mark. Please don't believe CE means it is safe without using your experience and knowledge to check it.

Kind regards

BS

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So what the hell use is the CE mark then BS?, I use my noggin when buying/using stuff, even if CE marked, but where does this leave joe Public?, What is the point of a CE mark then?.
    Rich.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Ah the old CE mark. That's the one that stands for China Export. Google it!

9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Buy it from reputable outlet, not a car boot. What may appear to be a bargain can work out to be quite expensive

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Rulland

One of the problems is that equipment coming into the EU from place like China carry the CE mark but have been marked in the country of manufacture. This is not the way it should work. The importer into the EU is the person responsible for applying the CE mark and ensuring it complies with the appropriate Directives and Regulations.

Also there are many manufacturers that still don't fully understand the requirements. I had the unfortunate pleasure of arguing with a manufacturer of a machine the Company I work for had purchased and getting them to put things right as they had not applied the Regulations correctly.

Unfortunately **** happens and you have to be aware that some cheap tat that doesn't comply gets through. You have to rely on the authorities and hope they find it before sombody get hurt.

Kind regards

BS