11.1mm arbour in a 10mm chuck

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Rich the bodger, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Rich the bodger

Rich the bodger New Member

i have a hole saw set where the larger size bits need to use an 11.1mm arbour. It doesn't fit in my 10mm chuck. Is there any way to adapt my chuck to accept please?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Change it for a bigger one.

3. Rich the bodger

Are they easy to change. It's a key less bosh chuck

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Usually there is a machine screw in the centre of the chuck which is on a lefthand thread and then the chuck uncrews from its arbour.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It might be easier just to buy another drill with a 13mm chuck.

6. Put it on a bench grinder if you have one make it fit

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yes you need a more powerful drill you may burn it out or stall it if its too big

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I dunno about "put it on a grinder", as it would probably not run true. Have you got any mates in the engineering game who could do a quick "homer" on a centre lathe, although I must agree with with big all, if your drill only has a 3/8 (10mm) chuck, then it probably ain't man enough for the job. :(

9. Rich the bodger

I just need to drill a neat 44mm hole in a wooden bathroom cupboard, nothing heavy. Looks like I'm snookered then. I'm surprised there's not an adapter but still.

10. malkie129

Ain't you got a mate that you could borrow a bigger drill for a 5 minute job ? ;)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

F-me. An 11.1mm arbor for a 44mm holesaw?

Christ!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. malkie129

I was thinking along those lines chippie. both of my arbors (starrett) are 11mm. Any smaller,then there wouldn't be much "meat" around the pilot drill. :eek:

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. Rich the bodger

Thanks for the ideas guys. The expansive bit looks tricky to use. The circular disc thing I have in 65mm and its ok but too big. I have a 9.5 arbour but the thread is too small for my 44mm bit. It came in a kit. The 18 - 33mm saw use the 9.5mm arbour. The bigger ones don't. Mates drill is 10mm chuck also.
    Drill hire is £18 so may go that route. Annoying as I like to use the set when needed.
    Thanks again.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Expansive bit is easy to use, just use drill on slow speed.
    Some tool hire do half days.

Where are you.