110 mm solvent bend instead of push-fit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Possom, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

I'm going to have a 110 mm soil pipe emerge from a wall within a kitchen roof cavity (indicated in green in image), this then emerges from kitchen roof and connects to external stack.

stack.jpg
    I presume there's any point in having an access port on the 92.5 degree bend (indicated by red arrow) since there's no hatch in the kitchen ceiling to access it. The branch section at the stack will have an access port in any case, so I hope this would be sufficient.

I had intended to use a push-fit single socket bend at this point (pic A below), however after learning on the forum recently that weld-fit fittings are best to use in concealed areas instead of push-fit fittings, I'm not thinking it would be best to use a solvent-weld bend instead (pic B below). Pic B shows a double socket bend since I think it would have to be this to weld at both ends of the bend.

I'd appreciate any comments on this, in that, if you think this is the correct way to go. Thanks!

A)
    [​IMG]
    http://tinyurl.com/yaastlbz

B)
    [​IMG]

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Possom,Your proposed set up is possible but it will need amending to comply with the regulations in force.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So messy when a soil pipe has to break through a roof like that.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Has the picture been photoshopped? or do the bricks below that waste pipe run down at about 20 degrees?

5. Possom

Possom Member

It's not a photo of the actual house, just a photo I grabbed from the 'net and sketched on to illustrate what I mean.

6. Possom

Possom Member

Can you elaborate on this as I'd be interested to learn precisely what you mean? Which aspect requires amendment?

7. Possom

Possom Member

I should add, the plan would be that there would be an angled lead slate at the point where the soil emerges from the kitchen roof.

One other way to deal with the soil pipe issue, would be to run the soil pipe (in green) along the inside of the exterior wall.

This would be about 4 bricks down from the underside of the window. So as not to have the soil pipe take up footspace in the tiny bathroom, perhaps it would be possible to cut a track of about 7cm deep into two rows of 11.5cm thick bricks of the internal wall of the cavity wall, then set the pipe into this track.

This cutting back of the brick plus extra depth of wall plaster plus depth of thick skirting board would allow the soil pipe to sit within the wall track and be flush where it meets the skirting board.

As shown in green the pipe would travel from the right of the internal wall to about halfway under the window, where it could emerge through the wall and away from the kitchen roof extension. Since 7cm of the thickness of two rows of bricks under the window would have to be chiseled away, perhaps a load supporting beam would have to be placed above these two rows (meaning a row would have to come out) in order to support the window?

I don't know if this is necessarily easier than the lead slate method? Any comments welcome!

soilpipe.jpg

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your photo I presume you have the same set up with stack pipe, is there a drain gully on the end wall which you could convert to a new stack pipe, then you can bring soil pipe from bathroom to new stack pipe.

9. Pollowick

7 cm deep in a brick will create a structural issue / potential weakness. However, your suggestion about using a beam above may be a solutionl?

Possom likes this.
  10. Possom

Possom Member

The only existing drain gully is at the end of the kitchen extension.

This would mean the soil pipe which emerges within the kitchen roofspace would have to travel the length of the kitchen (within it's roof cavity) and emerge from the kitchen wall where a new stack could potentially be located beside the existing drain. This is shown by the yellow pathway below.

pathway.jpg

11. Pollowick

Which way do the joists run in the bathroom? If parallel to that wall you could loom at dropping down and running through there.

Possom likes this.
  12. Possom

Possom Member

Unfortunately not, instead perpendicular.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So, difficult yrying to work out a souliton without proper photo's.

14. The Teach

Possom,the answers to your proposed alterations are all freely available,just read the appropriate building regulations approved documents.

15. Possom

Possom Member

I believe these are the documents you are referring to:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/approved-documents

Could you indicate which section I should be referring to, as, from your first post, you appear to be aware of some issue which I am not aware of?

16. The Teach

***,if you cannot read the approved documents you have found,you should refrain from any alterations.

17. Possom

Possom Member

Given that you appeared to suggest you were aware of an issue, it would have been helpful if you could point out specifically which area I should be looking at. That is, given the number of potential areas you potentially could be referring to. Of course it's your prerogative if you prefer not to.

The building/roofing company, presumably, will be aware of any such issues in any case, so it will be interesting to learn what they have to say.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. Pollowick

Just trying to think of a another possibility. Breaking through the tiles is messy and not easy to get a decent seal and finish. Could you drop down to just below ceiling level and exit through the extension wall? Then have a 150x150 boxing in that top corner of the room - take it fully side to side and it could blend in. A fried had a bathroom extractor which went right through the kitchen in that way and was barely noticeable.

Possom likes this.
  19. The Teach

Yes they should be aware of regulations and further more you will be protected by building control inspections as the build progresses.

20. Possom

Possom Member

Thanks Pollowick.

I had considered something like that, but, considering the pipe run which it would result in, I'd be concerned that it would result in blockages.

Yes, that's what I am concerned about. Having had a think about things I think what I'll have done is just get them to remove the thick skirting board along the wall under the window to give an extra couple of cms. Then just run the soil pipe along the wall within the bathroom - this run will be just over a metre or so, then out the wall at the current point and avoiding having to bring the pipe out into the kitchen roof.

It'll just mean that the 110mm diameter soil pipe, running along under the window, will protrude into the tiny bathroom about 7.5cm. I think it's probably the best compromise, and I won't have to wonder about how well the joint at the roof was sealed.