12v down lighters changed to LED

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 24, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all

Please could I have some advice! I wish to to change 12v spot down lighters lights, four of them and a fan.

There is a big 12v transformer in the void all feeding off that.

I basically want to put them all in a connection unit running of mains.

The cable is heat resistant flex and to get four cables in a rose I didn't feel was enough room.

Is there a connection unit out there I could use. I have one feed in. Then something that links up the live neutral earths etc.

Something basic and easy.

Any tips for terminating this flex or tool. Much prefer twin and earth.

Thanks

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Something like this I'm guessing. Basically just connect them all together nice and easy

Attached Files:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Click flow connectors.

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks kiab where do I get them from

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Not sure how I would wire them Kiab.

Say for instance three cables in one side then three in the other? Then obviously click together. As I have atleast four cables

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Great they look ideal.

I will try and get them, have seen them before but forgot about these.

Thanks again

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Your "big" transformer might not be suitable, led's normally need drivers.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I'm not using the transformer. I have been told you can disregard and put on mains. Is this not the case?

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I will be changing the lampholders and lamps. So they will run off mains. Changing mr16s to Gu10

Cheers for reply Sen

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've used lots of the Aurora 5 watt mains led's recently, (GU10) very pleased with them too!

tore81 likes this.
  12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Great! Do you think those click connectors will be ideal for four cables.

I have one feed into the current transformer and four cables running off that.

I don't want to messing about easiest option really plenty of room. As can be a pain with this flex much prefer T&E

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I would probably use a standard JB under the circumstances provided it's going to be accessible, a decent sized one with plenty of room!

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

With twin and earth I have never had a problem with a JB but this cable just pops out. Diffult to get four L in one terminal. Kept popping out. T&E as got more structure to it. You can dress it round etc!

I will have acces but I think I'll go for the click. Thanks for your replies

15. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Just reading from your post is this in a bathroom?? With fan??? Why was a 12volt system used in the 1st place??
    Are the 12v fittings IP rated??
    What Zone if any are the lamps in??

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

When putting multiple cables into a JB I put a couple of wires in, screw down to get them nicely crushed down and then undo the screw again to get the next ones in, saves all that one in, two out again lark!

tore81 likes this.
  17. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes it is in a bathroom. Not sure why it was installed that way.

Not sure but probably because mr16s get hot. The fitting are metal so I know they will need to be earthed. Which Is in the flex just cut off.

Maybe like you say I may need to change the fitting as it doesn't have an earth connection. It just fits into the lamp.

So will I have to run separate earth? Or new fitting?

18. DNR Plumbing

I'm sure a spark will be along soon with full regs but from what I understand you have to use 12v in showers and 240v elsewhere in the bathroom if far enough away from water

19. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok thanks DNR.

The reason for change is the MR16s are rubbish.

I'm guessing this does come into regs, but surely the zones would of been previously worked out.

Failing that can you get Replacement LED mr16s. As most suppliers dont stock them.

Was told everyone is changing to GU10 hmm

20. DNR Plumbing

I've got 1 mr16 in my shower and then 5 gu10 fittings with led lamps in the room the mr16 isn't very good at all I've asked our spark what can be done and he said leave it (he can't be bothered as its my house and he won't make anything lol )