12v down lighters changed to LED

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 24, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Lol! You should tell him that when his sink leaks :)

One of the light is in a toilet cubicle (sink outside) and one in the middle of the room. And one outside the shower! (Not IN).

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

If not in a shower you should be good for new gu10 fittings with led lamps
    Wire up in 1mm t+e to a junction box then to your feed but check with a spark if your unsure

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok cheers! the lampholders will be rubber/ plastic . But the casing where it sits will be metal.

That should be fine because they are sealed into the lampholder.

Thanks

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If they are sealed and with a suitable IP rating they are ok, also all the electrical connections etc are above the ceiling therefore outside the zones.

tore81 likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

tore81 likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go through Quidco for LED Hut & get 20% cashback.

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok I'll try that. Thanks Kiab.

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Other than some 0.58W LED's from Poundland all the 2 inch lamps using LED I have seen have not been MR16 they don't have a reflector at all. I would agree better to move from 12 volt and the GU5.3 connection. Even using a toroidal transformer I have had LED lamps fail I will guess they want a smooth supply not sine wave? As to drivers that is also a problem. True driver is current regulated, but lighting industry seems to also call simple 12 volt regulated power supplies drivers so one needs to be very careful. I use GU10 and I have noted with the lack of the MR16 reflector we get double angles of light. The beam is centre weighted 35 25°is common. For mothers wet room I used three 2W lamps they do well. That's the only room where they are in the ceiling my bathroom has pods and every other lamp is either a table lamp or wall lamp which was main reason to change as they were too hot.

With tungsten both GU5.3 and GU10 are MR16 lamps. MR16 refers to the reflector not voltage or fitting. With LED there seems to be a lot of rubbish on the market. An LED will give around 100 lumen per watt using a good quality driver, but many are down to 60 lumen per watt mainly because they are using inefficient drivers in the lamp. It does not really matter they are so much better than tungsten one can afford to lose 40% of the power. However it does mean a 3W and 5W lamp may give out the same light. Dimable lamps tend to give less lumen per watt and in the main these start a 5W so a 3W non dimable may give out same light.

10 ~ 30 volt DC lamps as used in caravans are all around the 100 lumen per watt clearly fitted with PWM drivers. (Pulse width modulated is really the same as switch mode) lamps marked simply 12 volt often have a resistor as the current control and 230 vac often a capacitor is used as current control those with PWM drivers built in are normally AC/DC and 150 ~ 250 volt rating.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Are you using the original cable that the 12 volt lights were wired in? it sounds to me like a multi out torrodial tx with that black heavy duty twin flex they used to be wired in. If so then check the earth requirements on the fittings you are installing.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

No there using 1.0 mm heat resistant flex Pete. Not sure if that's the correct term. Same cable as say a boiler is wired in but smaller. There is earth there. Previously been cut off. Thanks

11. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

For the cost I would fit the new lamps with 1.0mm T+E if you have 3 connections on your new lamps and keep up earth continuity as much as you can

My father would say 1.5mm he says 1.0 is t enough but won't listen that 1.0mm will carry 17a but it's only fed from a 6a breaker :)

tore81 likes this.
  12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The use of twin and earth or flex depends on how and what is being feed. Using T&E with clips holding it to the beams is clearly OK. But when it is not fixed then a clamp is really required at the lamp and JB to ensure the cable can't pull out. Since the regulations expect you to fix the cable they don't tell you it needs clamps. The problem with clamps and cable entry holes is they are often designed for round cable. However some JB's will not work with stranded cable specially maintenance free.

So the basic thing is once you stop following the regulations then you have to use common sense. You can't half follow regulations it's all or nothing. It either complies, or it does not comply there are no half measures. Most people will not lift floor boards to fit cable retainers we just fish it through best we can. So one has to use common sense selecting cable not trying to follow regulations.