15mm compression joint 1-11/4 turn

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by richhand, Jul 22, 2017.

1. richhand

richhand Member

I've been fitting these joints for a while now but can not understand the instruction on the back of Plumbsure packets for 15mm compression joints. What is a 1-11/4 turn? I'm sure there's an obvious answer.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A recommendation as to how tight the nut should be,too tight,but this can vary slightly depending whether you use brass or copper olives, you can damage the olive causing fitting to leak if over tighten, I 've fitting were the lock nut has split due to over tightening,

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

One to one and a quarter turns ... it should be printed as 1 to 1¼ or 1 - 1¼ but laziness/incompetence/lack-of-understanding creeps in and they just use 1-11/4 !

KIAB likes this.
  4. Pollowick

A few more useful characters:

½ ¼ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ ⅕ ⅖ ⅗ ⅘ ⅙ ⅚ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

π ° ² ³ ₀ ₂ ₄ ₅ ₆ ₇ ₈ ₉

So nice and easy to write 27°c or H₂O or πr²

5. richhand

richhand Member

ah so simple. I never get more than 180 degree anyway, whatever that translates into. No leaks for the past year even without sealer.

6. Pollowick

180° >>>> ½ turn I am sure you know that!

KIAB likes this.
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Measure in grunts. Always use at tiny, tiny, tiny dab of lubrication on thread. Just thread.. I use Vaseline that way you can do it up.. almost... Not quite... tight enough by hand for it not to leak I find. You don't get that thread grinding when you tighten nut and you can feel where you are on the thread in relation to olive... If you get what I mean.. 1 grunt is enough.. If you get a drip then tighten to 2 grunts... If it still leaks then you are in danger of over tightening.. 3 grunts can damage the olive and there is probably something wrong.. The turn guide is that.. A guide but your better going steady and judging yourself by feel. It's soft copper and should be treated as such.