17th edition on new consumer unit compliance. All RCBO's for best?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gusmagoo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Hi all, the question speaks for itself.
    I'm not an electrician (I'm a firefighter) so I undertand why fire resistant or metal units are soon to be law but I'm a bit confused as to what type to buy for my guy to fit.
    There is clearly a lot of debate on the net about split units vs all RCBO's but what is the best for future proofing, safety and compliance with the regs? Putting cost aside, are all RCBO units the best practice for a new/replacement install, or are there certain times when a circuit should NOT be on an RCBO. Great forum btw.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

RCBO defo best practice and fully 17th edition compliant, however there are occassions when not suitable, ie RCD at a more distant location , ie external garage.An electrician would be the one to decide when this was the case. regards nigel.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am an advocate of all-RCBO consumer units simply because it guarantees compliance with the Regs. with regards to minimizing inconvenience in the event of a fault. There is never any guarantee of future proofing anything, so I would disregard that from the equation. In essence it will come down to cost and what you are willing to pay. An all RCBO CU is the best solution, but also the costliest. Dual RCD units are fully compliant in respect of 30mA RCD protection, but do not, in my opinion, satisfy minimizing inconvenience in the event of a fault. There is probably one case where you may consider an RCD is best avoided and that is a fridge/freezer circuit. If you can see your way to having a dedicated socket for that you are best leaving the RCD protection off.

FatHands likes this.
  4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

A high integrity db would be worth considering

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you do have such a setup you will need to ensure the cabling is in with the requirments of 7671, ie surface mounted, swa etc

6. nigel willson

Hey, the stuff we ave to know!!. How hard can it be to "join a few bits of wire together" The man in the street!. Lol

7. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Thanks for all the sound advice...
    Yes I thought the odd circuit without might be good, fridge for obvious reasons (hadn't thought of that!) Smoke alarm for another, Might put smoke alarm in with hall lights so you know if it trips! (not on door bell or security someone might ring your doorbell to alert you of a fire and a security system might be set up to ring you, so no good if a fire trips it)
    The (attached) garage will also be fed underground by armoured cable (which i've been generously given) into an IP55 box with a 32 and a 6 amp switch which i presume will also need to have RCBO's in? Yes I have read the 7671 requirements all make perfect sense to me. My spark is bobbing in over the weekend to size the job up. Think it'll be a 12 way board at this rate! He's already told me the shower induction hob and cooker will all need their own seperate feed! it's only when you write it all down that you realise how much stuff we rely on nowadays... I will look into the High integrity DB. Never considered that but feel it might be overkill. Any other comments greatfully received. ;-)

8. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It's not really a case of picking a choosing which ctts are rcd'ed or not. The requirements of BS7671 need to be met in terms of rcd protection

9. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Yea thanks I appreciate that.

10. nigel willson

Hi integrity board! = feed to garage on non rcd circuit, simplies.

11. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

RCBO board all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

They have taken a significant price tumble over the years, dual RCD Nah!

12. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I had hoped once I had attended the IET lecture on amendment 3 I would have the answers. However the "We are waiting for clarification on this" was an all to frequent answer. It would seem some manufacturers are doing something about the problem and are going back to two screws to clamp the cables. It would seem not only not tight enough but also too tight has been causing a problem with terminals being warped due to over tightening. The dissimilar metals used in terminals is it would seem a major problem years ago everything was brass today the mixture steel and brass is causing a major problem.

I would agree RCBO with neutral switching would seem to be the best option. But each manufacturer seems to be taking a different approach and one now has to compare a top opening cover over the MCB/RCBO to a side opening cover clearly top hinge means it can't be left open but with side opening it can.

As to all plastic glands v metal glands with rubber inserts this is still waiting for guidance as to which is going to be accepted. I expect plastic consumer units will plummet in price but as to enclosures to fit the plastic consumer units in we are still waiting with baited breath to see what will be offered.

The manufacturers may have started to produce steel consumer units but the whole sale outlets will have many pre-3rd amendment units which they will want to get rid of so likely there will be some really good deals.

To me a consumer unit in a attached garage are we really worried likely no. But under the stairs then yes we are what ever the regulations say. Are we worried about how much we pay? Well clearly we are and in the current climate we have to take all into consideration. It is all very well saying I want a metal consumer unit with all double pole switching RBCO's but in the main we also consider what it costs.

It would seem odd but in real terms it is us as electricians who really want the input from a fire fighter rather than the other way around. So what do you think we should be fitting?

13. sparky Si-Fi

There was an issue a while ago about Metal Clad CU's having an effect on RCD's on the supply side and it may not 'see' the fault,so why are we reverting back to it is my query?

All insulated CU's should be Mandatory for domestics installs, I bet some insurance company has had to shell out a tasty claim for this stupid reason for Metal enclosures. . .

What a ferkin mess we are now, dictated not by electrically trained individuals but B.S. rules

Quicker I can get out this game the better IMHO.

14. gusmagoo

gusmagoo New Member

Ok well thanks again for the input, aparently London Fire and Rescue Service have seen a massive increase in CU related fires. I'm led to believe this has had a direct influence on the tightening of the regs.( I've been a firefighter for 22 years...)
    This doesn't however address the likely causes of the fires, which could be a number of things eg incorrecly tightened terminals, fake products, simply rubbish products, badly installed setups, poor DIY jobs not to mention the cowboys. I feel a bit for the manufacturers because if correctly intalled i'm pretty sure most of these incidents would never have happened. Unfortunately all of this stuff can be easily bought by anyone, that needs to be tightened, or stopped...
    HOWEVER, as a firefighter, you won't be surprised if I confirm to you that a lot of plastic products DO indeed burn and cause fires that keep me in work!
    I'm bound to be a bit more aware and maybe a bit more anal about fire safety in all aspects of the building regs but my opinion is that fire resistant or even fire proof, and or metal boxes, with seperate RCBO's on all circuits is the way forward. It's common sense really...
    And whilst i'm here, if anyone has a partner who loves candles, especially in the bathroom, on a plastic bath, please discourage them (or ban them) from use in your house. I've had TWO independant deaths at work from this alone. (is it any wonder i'm anal about regs!)
    Although the regs aren't fully in till next year IF i was a spark I'd bworking to them regardless.
    I'm sure the debate will rumble on...

15. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The changes in escape route rules once explained make sense but we tend to consider escape routes are just for escape and forget firemen go in using those routes and we never even think of the problem of getting a BA set tangled in fallen wires. Sorry it caused two deaths but surprised it had to wait for regulations before making people aware of the problem.

I am sure it is lack of torque screwdrivers when fitting consumer units which has caused the problem but again why wait for regulations why was not the problem publicised more? Until the lecture I took the attitude tighten the terminal as tight as you can then give it a little more. I had not realised it was over tightening which damaged the terminals which caused as many problems as under tightening. Again lack of public awareness.

But looked in Screwfix website and could not find a single consumer unit which complies with 2016 regulations. Even the metal ones have plastic drop down lids. Manufactures are making them but non in the suppliers. As to the special glands!

FatHands likes this.
  16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Virtually all of the circuits on my TPN Dis-Brd in our House has RCBO's and has had since 2010 when I put it in.

Big cost but far cheaper now they cost £28 back then to me and there's 13 in all plus a 6A MCB feeding the Fire Alarm Panel and a 63A TPN MCB feeding the 16mm 4C SWA submain feeding the Workshop.

Nowts burning down in my Gaff! :cool:

FatHands and gusmagoo like this.
  17. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

You obviously don't live with females, that one has to go behind to make sure they have turned off their hair straighteners, curlers & such ;)

18. sparky Si-Fi

TP+N in your house Sine??. . .lets have some piccys me old cable joint?!

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Subject to all reg criteria being met with ref to above. I love high integrity db's - they are cost effective.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

:D