17th edition on new consumer unit compliance. All RCBO's for best?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by gusmagoo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. andye

andye New Member

The reason why you see more CU fires is that non electricians and some 5 week wonders along with some moonlighting firefighters fit them and then leave a lot of slack connections plus it does not help with people throwing combustable materials on top of them yep a recipe for disaster.

This new regulation is a nonsense

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

This site won't allow direct picture uploads from a PC so no go I'm afraid. :(

3. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

@sinewave

screenshot_3.jpg

Wait a moment for the Image(s) to Upload then look under the reply box for a thumbnail image & choose either thumbnail or full image or even delete if your not happy & start over

HTH

Alternatively you could be having other issues IE: File too large / wrong format / other

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I was clicking on upload picture on the above Toolbar like most other Forums, didn't even see the button below! :eek:

Went a bit overboard and fitted an addressable Fire Alarm system too much to Wifey's disgust at the amount of gear spoiling the look of her Utility Room! :rolleyes: 20150129_192717.jpg

5. Welshdragon1

Who's nose is that peg for then :D:D:D

Seriously

I hope you was able to change the reset code from the default ??

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Nah, default code was 000

I chose 123 simply so her indoors etc would have no myther if I was out and sumat spurious set it off.
    Then decided to cement that with a sticker for the Grandparents if they're on their own baby sitting etc

7. Welshdragon1

1 Wise man ;)

8. trebor47

trebor47 New Member

Dont quit too soon the trade needs expereince!
    the issue with mclad boards is only with TT earthing systems and just needs additional attention to the insulation and bushing of the main tails
    As TT is uncommon it only leaves parts of an installation being made specifically TT for additional protection or segregation of TN-C-S so not a big issue, mclad boards can be installed without concern on TN earthing systems

9. trebor47

trebor47 New Member

RCCBO`s offer additional protection against earth faults and are no doubt lifesavers in some scenarios, it is important to note theat the CB part is just as important, themajority of electrical fires are caused by undersized conductors,loose connections , overload of circuits and or equipment, the rcd part will only operate once the situation has got bad enough to cause an inbalance which maybe when a fire has already started, RCCBO`as the regs say are not a panacea and there is no better protection than a well designed and installed installation

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As TT is uncommon

That depends on where you are Trebor, there is quite a lot of it in my area.

11. trebor47

trebor47 New Member

I guess your'e a country boy seneca, with all rcd rules nowadays we may as well all be TT saves the problems with PME