18mm Chrome pipe bending

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Paul HughesR, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Paul HughesR

Paul HughesR New Member

Does anyone know where I can go to have an 18mm chrome pipe for a shower riser bent twice? (S shape)

I have tried to find an 18mm chrome elbow (so that I only need to bend once) but it has proven impossible so only option is to bend twice.

I am located in south west London so ideally not too far.

Thank you

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Sorry to say , no such thing in plumbing as 18mm chrome pipe. Unless its made by a shower manufacturer.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It says the pipe is made from solid brass chrome plated.

I dont think you can bend brass?

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Ok then, ive never heard of it, learn summint every day.

6. Paul HughesR

Paul HughesR New Member

Thank you for contributing everyone. That is indeed the piece I need to have bent (amazon item).

Will that solid brass chrome plated pipe bend in an offset shape? From what I can read online bending brass is very difficult? For what is worth the bends will not be huge as the distance with not that great, may that make things easier?

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

When you pull a bend on chromed brass there is a risk of the electro plate cracking, moreso on brass pipe than copper. If I was you I would find a local iron works and see if they could pull the bends. Problem you have is finding someone with an 18mm former and guide. one point to consider, as its brass would need to be done mechanically rather than hand benders as brass is not a malable metal.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've seen chrome brass tube filled with sand,plugged & then bent on formers years ago, also brass tube filled with water which is then frozen first, then bent, using same method for making trombones,trumpets,etc.

Astramax likes this.
  9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sounds interesting, would be good to see that sort of stuff

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some makers use different methods, some pour a soft liquid metal into the tube ,which then solidify, you make your bends,no kinks or creases, then melt the metal out.

Similar process below with making a French Horn.

kiaora and Dave does Gas like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The metal used in filling the tube for bending, is known as a 'bend alloy', which has a melting point of 70°C & you can melt it with boiling water.
    But,there is product called Polybend, it's replacing bend alloys, which usually contains lead & can affect your health.

http://www.bendalloy.co.uk/polybend.html

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Resin W8 was the name I was trying to recall.

QUOTE:
    It has a melting point of about 70DegC which can be used to fill tubes prior to bending operations. It offers excellent dimensional and wall support during bending, can be simply removed with heating and a special advantage any residue can be removed with plain water

http://www.johnnealeltd.co.uk/shopresinws8.html