18mm MDF for shelving

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by AshSplash, Aug 28, 2015.

1. AshSplash

AshSplash New Member

Hiya,

I'm about to start a project putting shelving into an alcove. The shelves will hold clothes so in terms of weight we're looking at a few pairs of jeans per foot for example.

I've got 34mm x 34mm pine batons to go along the back and the sides so that the shelf is supported on 3 edges.

The MDF is 18mm and the gap is 154cm x 54cm. I've tried out the sagulator which says this should be ok but I'm not sure what level of support that tool assumes.

Do you think supporting the shelves on 3 edges will be sufficient? Or is it essential to have another baton across the front edge as well?

Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It assumes only a bearer at each end, it doesn't take into account a rear bearer fixed to the wall.

3. AshSplash

AshSplash New Member

Ok, so if that says it's ok then I should be fine as I've got more than it knows. Great news!

4. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

:confused: Is it me?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the worse happens & it sags, then double up, & lip the front edge with par/pse wood.

6. miss pickle

"Sagulator" :oops: I heard chippie on about this. So does that mean it regulates so there is no sag :) its a guideline? Of what to do?
    Well I'm learning. I'm allowed to ask :p

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I think Chippie was on about breasts knowing him!, lol.

miss pickle and FatHands like this.
  8. miss pickle

Hahaha! :D:D:D
    I knew he was experienced ;)

Rulland likes this.
  9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

spot on!

Rulland likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Excuse me, I'm more of a bottom person than a breast man. :p:p

miss pickle, FatHands and Rulland like this.
  11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

you can like bottoms and breasts if you want chip :D

12. Ash, 18mm thick MDF over a 1.5m span? In a few months that will droop like Chippie's 'tache.

MDF is a weird material - it seems to almost flow. It';s strong stuff, but will 'move' under it's own weight even.

As said above, no harm in trying it, but be prepared to add more of your 34x34 as a batten along t'underside near t'front.

I think what I would do is to leave the shelves 'loose' - no fixed down (I know that won't exactly help the sagging, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna sag anyways a bit...) Then, if it does sag to an unacceptable amount, remove the shelves, and screw & glue the batten to the concave side (the original 'up') and turn t'whole thing over.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Going back to the actual question rather than my preferences I would say that you need a support in the middle of that span just to support the weight of the MDF, it doesn't need to be much, just a triangular brace to stop it drooping.

14. Owain

Owain Member

I would definately put a batten/lip across the front. It thickens the shelf visually and looks so much more substantial even if it isn't needed.

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Shelves have a knack for getting more and more piled onto them. I've built loads of mdf shelves and always add a front brace, unless really small span.