18V 4 Ah Batteries

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jul 16, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've noticed Li-on 4 Ah batteries being made now by Makita. Battery technology is improving slowly but surely. :)

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yep, cordless stuff has come on leaps and bounds!

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I wish they design a battery that failed around the same time as the rest of the tool did - or price the batteries so that you aren't tempted to buy yet another complete tool, along with yet another charger - just to get a couple of working battery's

Biochef likes this.
  4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Its called marketing my dear friend ........ :D

5. flateric

Every one would throw a fit if they went to the garage and the mechanic replaced the battery and charged the same price as a power tool battery ........... I think someone is taking the Pee :)

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you look, 5 AH batteries are common place.

I agree that the cost of the batteries is ridiculous, I've just had the buy a new drill, due to the fact that two new batteries was more expensive than a new drill with two batteries.:mad::mad::mad:

7. flateric

On the up side you have a spare drill ....... Don't be so pessimistic :D

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I recently replaced a 10 year old Dewalt combi Drill with the new Makita 18V brushless cordless impact wrench and combi drill. I have never used an impact before but am now converted. It can drive home a 4" screw with ease and would drive through a piece of timber if you let it. the kit came with 2 3.Ah batteries and charge within 22mins.

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I don't because I bought a 24 volt the old one was 18 volt.:)

10. flateric

You waster you :D

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

well I've managed to collect 6 matkita 18v drill bodys over the last 3 years - and I'm down to just 2 battery's with any life left in them, as Mr P said, the price of a complete new set of body/2xbattery/charger/case is less than the price of 2 battery's purchased separately

how many spares do I need

12. flateric

Stick them ebay I did, didn't get a lot but all the same they went........ made a hole for more :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Any advance on 5 Ah :)

Impact drivers are fab. Make sure you buy the impact driver bits, though. Standard bits shatter under hard use.

14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Agreed. Only impact-rated bits should be used with impactors. I cringe when people borrow mine and put in standard bits.

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Fabulous tools. Bought the Mikita one (naked) when I had a load of fencing and decking to do. Perfect tool for the job.

16. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I use Wera gold bits in a Bi-torsion bit holder. Can't really say that I've had a problem.

17. flateric

Did you not get arrested ??????????????

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I do a fair bit of fixing ply cladding on to steel/ali frames using a Makita impact driver and used to use expensive driver bits but they would only last a day or two anyway so I bought 100 bits off toolstation for about £7.00 and they last as long but cost a fraction of the price.

wiggy likes this.
  19. flateric

I tried the Makita bits but they were short lived the wera bits triumphed no probs with them

20. dexter ryan

dexter ryan New Member

Wera or the Milwaukee ones are the best bits I have used in the impacts so far. didn`t think much to the black dewalt bits