2/3/4 way lighting for hall way

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by beanyman, Jun 28, 2016.

1. beanyman

beanyman New Member

Can anyone tell me how to wire up the french 2 way lighting system? that uses a switch in the fuse box, so you can turn lights off/on from any one of the switches connected to it.
    I have a very large hall with 7 separate doors leading on to it. that need a light switch at every one.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Called a tele....something or other isn't it, they uses relays and other witchraft to make 2 way lights work when a simple 2 way or intermediate switch would do the job.

3. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

They don't understand circuits in fog land :rolleyes:

4. beanyman

beanyman New Member

I thought it was just one dual core cable feeding all the switches which then triggered the switch at the fuse box. Not too sure that's why I am asking the question, If my French was a bit better I would ask at the supply shop. alas not good enough yet....

5. peter palmer

I think its like the time lag switches in communal passage or stair ways, operate the switch and it clicks the relay on until someone pushes another switch or something like that, I read about them ages ago.

6. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Its a Latching relay system .....1 twin cable goes to the switches and another to the light fittings

7. Owain

Owain Member

8. A staircase timelag switch,fits on the din rail and the amount of on time can be set with dial on the front of it.

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Latching relay yes, timelag no.

10. Various manufacturers do them,staircase time lag switch
    [​IMG]
    Product Description

Code: ELPA7

Electronic Staircase Switch (1 Module)
    • 16(10)A Staircase switch, electronic
    • Immediate secondary switching
    • Electronic time delay
    • Toggle switch for continuous light
    • Can switch up to 2300W of incandescent, 400VA fluorescent or 140W of L.E. lighting
    • Automatic 3 or 4 conductor detection (4 conductor with connection for floor lighting)
    • Surface mount kit (907.0.065)

FatHands likes this.
  11. beanyman

beanyman New Member

Hi there guys and gales
    Thanks for all your help, now the question now is why do I need a time lag? plus does anyone know how to wire them up, say for 6/7 switches, one to two lights coming on together?

12. Sorry,read the question wrong,time lag is no use if you want to turn lights on from each switch,leave on and turn off from another switch.
    The lights will only come on for the time set at the timer,then turn off.

13. beanyman

beanyman New Member

Do you know the part that is supplied by Legrand??

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you not wire it in the conventional way? Use intermediate switches and run a 3&E from Sw1 to Sw2, Sw2 to Sw3, Sw3 to Sw4 &c? Or some 4 core & E flex from each location to a central point and joint appropriately?

15. beanyman

beanyman New Member

Thanks for the info, sounds pretty simple Treat me like an idiot, I presume T&E is twin and earth.....
    So it sounds like all the switches need to be wired in series, and the light connection as normal across the L&N?

16. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Wire like this just add as many intermediate switches as required Earths omitted for ease of diagram

[​IMG]

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

You could wire it with intermediate switches but given the amount of points, I'd more than likely mount the relay in an adaptable box in a landing cupboard (assuming it's a downstairs hallway) or service duct and have one T&E from each switch to it, one feed in, and one out, and one to the lights.
    Any house with that many doors off a hallway is going to have cupboards and service ducts-a-plenty.

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

use a text translator program (to translate the langue)

19. peter palmer

Its called a telerupteur. Trouble is when you google it all the results are in french.

Frogs demonstrating how to do it.

[​IMG]