2.86Mb

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Daughter chust been given a mob phone and a small contract with 200Mb limit per month.

Needless to say she's overran that in a little over a week - landing dad with a £27 bill before TalkTalk pulled the plug.

Looking at the invoice - some 56 pages long - almost all had download volumes of 2.86Mb and 2.85Mb. Page after page, every few hours.

What the?

TT can't provide any more info that this, and I'll like to know what's going orn so's it can be stopped.

Her bro reckons it's from leaving something like 'Snapchat' running constantly?

Ta muchly.

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Facebook?, maybe.

3. Simon74

Simon74 Member

Photographs. Through what's app or similar. Been there and paid the bill.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Unknow as to what it is that repeats the same amount of MBs, but leaving the mobile data on shouldn't use any MBs unless it being used.

If she has been given the phone then buy a SIM only contract at 14.99 Month, this will give you unlimited calls, text and more importantly Data, yes unlimited Data, she can stay on Facebook 24/7 if she so pleased and no more extra bills for dad.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You got off lightly when my daughters were teenagers one built up a £600+ and the other quite a bit more !!

Some of the usual suspects emoticons, picture messaging, pokemon go, playing videos on youtube and applications. The applications can be the worst as they continually talk to their back end servers.

Anyway, you are going to get several months worth of chores out of your £27

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Good luck with this. Seems you re not the only TT customer to have the problem!

google it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. Thanks all. Tee-hee to most of you :).

Bludy 'ell, Sos! :eek:

Interesting, Mr Ha - I'll have a search for that.

I can't complain too much as the SIM plan is normally free (one of their 'gifts' following the hacking they suffered...). And, to their credit, TT did block the contract themselves - before I knew what was happening - pretty much as soon as the bill overshot her contract allowance.

It would be good to know what is causing such a fixed download size so's we can make sure it doesn't happen again. I'll get surfin'...

Cheers all.

(Phil - £15 per month?! You gotta be joking, man :) I'm Skottish don't you know...:rolleyes:)

8. Ah...

Mr Ha was right - it's a common issue. Not found the root cause yet, but it does look as tho' it's certain apps which continue to communicate even when not actively used.

The 2.86Mb is a standard download 'packet' so that's why they all look so similar.

Not got to the specific solution yet, but things to be done tomoz:

Settings > Data Usage > App Usage: every app wot looks high-use 'check' the 'Restrict Background Data' option.

Turn off "If WiFi is down/bad connection apps will be updated through mobile data..."

Select "Do not update apps automatically."

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

PITA this technology. Recently had Windows 10 Anniversary Update(PC). Buggered IE11, some pages need loading twice, some come up half done, then freeze. Sometimes need to 'End Task' of IE.
    Had to revert to previous version(windows 10 before update) because this particular update cannot be uninstalled otherwise. Gonna be automatically updated again(can't stop it).
    Microsoft are shiiiite.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really