2-gang intermediate switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by slide, Mar 18, 2007.

1. slide

slide Member

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these?

2. slide

slide Member

Preferably an MK one because thats what all the other stuff I am using on this job is. :)

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Get yourself a 2 module grid yoke, 2 intermediate modules, and the front plate of your choice......probably logic plus assuming the rest of your stuff is white MK.

Unfortunately MK in a cost cutting exercise have made their 1 and 2 gang 2way plate switches very tacky, and they no longer match their 3/4/6 gang switches, or their grid range. Shame really.

4. barera

barera New Member

5. I did not know those beasts existed. Still not to old to learn

6. slide

slide Member

What I want really is a module with 3 switches, two of them wired as intermediates and the other as a normal two way. I've already sank the metal box in and am wondering whether I can do this with just one module instead of sinking another box in for my other two-way.

7. BusterGonad

BusterGonad New Member

Well why didn't you say this at the begining?

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Crabtree do a grid system as well and very good if I might say

9. C.A.G

C.A.G New Member

Click switches r good the gut can swapped and they r cheaper than grid system

10. Lectrician

Any grid system will require a double box for a 3 gang switch I am afraid.

Many manufacturers do a grid range - but as OP requested MK, seemed sensible to concentrate on MK ;)

11. wally2

wally2 New Member

Hi, If I understand correctly, you require a 3 gang switch of which there is a mix of 2 way & intermidiate on the same single gang plate. I am afraid it wont match the mk as I believe it has rounded edges but if you dont mind square edge single plate I suggest the following which will fit in a 15mm box.
    MEM INTRA white moulded range. The simplest way would be to buy a 3 gang plate switch & a single intermediate one, remove one of the 2 way switches & replace it with the intermediate one after removing it off the plate. I use these switches often & is the only make I know where you can configure in this way as all the switches are seperate removable ones. Hope this helps.
    3 gang switch cat 2403 intermediate cat 2405

12. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

as said above,click do a polar range that is square edged, with all modules removable. your gonna have fun screwing that face plate down on them wires.

13. slide

slide Member

Cheers for all the replies guys.....

I think i'm just going to get a three gang two way and move the intermediate switch to one of the other locations.

14. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Cheers for all the replies guys.....

I think i'm just going to get a three gang two way
    and move the intermediate switch to one of the other
    locations.

That's what I had to do when wiring my own house, couldn't find 2 gang intermediates back then. It meant much longer runs of cable though.

That's my fault for wanting 2 way switching (well 3 or 4 switches) on both the landing AND the hall lighting (why does nobody else fit two way switching on the downstairs hall light? how many times have you gone up to bed and realised you have left the downstairs hall light on?).

15. DandMElectrical

DandMElectrical New Member

The NIC are making there guys wire the bottom of the stairs and the top of the stairs on different circuits as a 'safety feature' so your going to see that a lot.

Just put the whole staircase and landings on the same circuit as i do, why **** about.

Seperating switch gangs due to different circuits, what a waste of time.

16. Limbo_7

Limbo_7 New Member

A little late to the party here, but just in case anyone else is looking for future reference.
    On a standard MK 2gang 2 way switch, you will notice that the switches are just grid system modules, (Logic plus), in a fancy face plate.
    Carefully remove the 2 way modules from the plate and replace them with intermediate switches from the grid system range.
    Et-viola a 2gang intermediate switch that you can't buy off the shelf!

FYI You can just use a 2g grid system but the retaining screws on the face plate are top/ bottom.
    It looks horrible!

Attached Files:

Dipsterdiy likes this.
  17. Lectrician

Click minigrid these days.

18. Dipsterdiy

Dipsterdiy New Member

Thank you for this comment. This has really helped solve a problem I had with the MK light switch. I had a 2gang 2 way and need one of them to be an intermediate. Your suggestion worked a treat. Thanks