2 PIR to existing lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Clarky25, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Clarky25

Clarky25 New Member

Hi,

I'm after some help with installing 2 PIR's to existing lights.

Basically there is currently 3 downlighting outside the house door and there is a switch on the corner of the house to turn them on/off.

I want to fit 2 PIRs. One to each corner of the house so the lights turn on/ automatically once they are triggered. I aim to keep the switch in place but use this to either turn them on to be sensored and activated or off completely.

I like wiring into the switch first so my initial thought was as follows:

CCU to switch with 2C+E wired in with live to common. Neutral into block and earth into block. Outgoing 2C+E wired into the switch L1. Natural into block and Earth into block.
    Then...
    Into the PIR live to live, n to n and e to e. Then to the next PIR and onto the lights, all of the. Using 2C+E.

Does that sound correct?

As much advise as possible please.

Thank you.

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That sounds correct to me! As long as you determine your perm live and your switch live. Twin a earth 1.5 or 1.0 for lighting. Are you going to run conduit?

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

You are going from switch - pir- light.

Take your L out of fitting that links to your L in PIR. Your red or switch now goes into the fitting which is now your switched Live.

So actually not 100percent you need 3core. See what others say. The ones I have fitted that is.

4. Clarky25

Clarky25 New Member

Thanks tore81 for the quick reply.

So is that 3 core between the 2nd PIR and the first light?

Might have to draw something up to diagram it so I'm sure.

Thanks.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Have you bought your PIR yet? They should have a wiring diagram. I would upgrade the lights to LED. Cheaper in the long run!

6. Clarky25

Clarky25 New Member

No I haven't yet. That would be easier.

If been thinking about it and I think I would need to use 3c+e between the PIR 1 and PIR 2 to keep a constant live between the two. So one doesn't cancel out the other.

Il try and draw a diagram and see what people think.

Cheers.

7. Samsparks1

Samsparks1 New Member

You will do as above but take 2 core and earth from switch to first PIR 3 core from first PIR to second PIR and 2 core and earth to first light from first PIR . All this being at one junction block neutrals together , block the brown from switch with the brown from 3 core . Block the black from 3 core with the brown from light . 4 core flex out to first PIR as follows ... N TO N . Earth to earth unless double insulated fitting . Brown from your 2 Browns to live in . Black core sleeved brown from your black and brown pair to live out this being your switch line . Connect PIR 2 same as above . Connect lights as standard live earth and neutral . The switch will in effect kill power to the PIR's when switched off making them and power to the lights redundant .

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So the second light will be connected onto the 1st light or onto PIR. Is there any diagrams on this?

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

clarky have you got a link to the pirs you are going to be fitting?

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Many ways to skin a cat: I'm with Samsparks on this, but this 'diagram' might help:

CU-> Switch-> PIR1 Perm Live & Neutral in 2-core & E.

PIR1 Switched Live & Neutral-> Light1->Light 2-> Light 3 in 2-core & E

PIR1 -> PIR2 Perm Live, Switched Live & Neutral in 3-core & E.

Make junctions pertaining to PIR1 in box adjacent (or otherwise) else you'll not get all those cables into PIR1 easily.

Or have the lights coming off PIR2 if it's easier. Makes no odds.

FatHands likes this.
  11. Clarky25

Clarky25 New Member

Hi all.

Thanks for all your replys. Really helpful.

I think I have the idea of how to do it now.

Have a look at the photo attached, does that look right?

Thanks.
    IMAG1151.jpg

12. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

The switch is incorrect (it will go bang if you do it this way). Do not connect neutral to switch, just link it through with connector.
    Live from cu to switch C and feed to PIRs from L1
    Good luck

E t F

tore81 likes this.
  13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Are you using a double pole switch?

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That is how I see it too Eric.
    Good advice.

Lucky he posted it here first!