2 pumps one cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Andy0G00, May 5, 2016.

1. Andy0G00

Andy0G00 New Member

Evening all!
    I'm hoping someone can help with what I'm sure is a relatively simply query!

I have a conventional gravity fed system with two showers.
    I have a salamander pump fitted to one of the showers and I want to do the same to the second as I've just replaced it and it requires a pump to get the desired pressure!
    Both these pumps are negative head pumps but my question is can I take the hot water feed for the second shower pump off the same S flange or should I be looking to fit a second side entry flange so it's completely separate?

I am open to any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

2. Yes nothing wrong with that all a flange does is eliminate air from the shower so running 2 off the same supply is not a problem

3. Two pumps? Are you mad? Plumb the two showers off the one pump. Firstly, how likely is it that you'd be running the two showers together. Secondly, if it is likely then if you currently have such a noddy pump that it couldn't cope then just change it for a proper job.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Your biggest consideration should be if both are running simultaneously will you have enough hot water to supply both and can the cold supply keep up with the demand.

5. Fit it and find out if not up the supply size

6. Spot on. For example, I have decent Mira showers that deliver 15 l/m. If you allow for the hot/cold mix then that's roughly 10 l/m of hot. If you have a 160 l standard cylinder then with two showers at 10 l/m you'll have 8 minutes, I hope you haven't got any teenagers.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just finishing a job where we're running two showers off a Stuart Turner pump. This was already specced by the architect so just playing ball. In this case running the two at the same time isn't really going to happen, but tomorrow, Im going to try and see how the water supply stands up.

On another note, the Stuart Turner pump is exceptionally quiet...very impressed with it. I did mount it on s small slab though to help prevent vibration.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have a single Stuart Turner feeding a shower and a bath/shower mixer. Pressure and flow are excellent and I am considering some flow restrictors take it down a little. A couple of days back, I went for a shower and after a few seconds thought that the pressure was a little low and the water soon cooled. Little did I know, that my daughter had decided to have a bath at exactly the same time and we were sharing te pump and hot supply. The pump certainly coped well with this situation and the shower was still fully acceptable.

I knew it was a possibility and now I have the proof ... I need a larger cylinder and one where the take off flange is nearer the top rather than 250mm below the shoulder.

CGN likes this.