2 stroke oil

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by spanna11, May 13, 2007.

1. spanna11

spanna11 New Member

hi I have just bought a ryobi strimmer an it came with some synthetic oil, the ratio is 40;1. Is it ok to use the little tubes (100 ml) of sthil oil which is 50;1. Does it make any difference?

2. don't use it man...50:1 is a weaker mixture...it could cause motor damage

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It don't matter. Instead of 40 petrol to 1 oil, put 50 petrol to 1 oil.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Not familiar with your Sthil 100ml oil cartriges but I suspect they're 100ml of 2-stroke oil designed to be added to a 5lt fuel can as a very simple way of making up a 50:1 ratio...?

Why not just add one of your 100ml oil packs to an empty fuel can and then fill it up with 4litres of fuel? (40:1 ratio achieved...)

Hope this helps? :)

5. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

...suspect Handyandy was trying to say the same thing before the keyboard sabotaged his post...;)

6. spanna11

spanna11 New Member

oops i just checked the ratio for my strimmer and it IS 50:1, but it's synthetic and the sthil 1 isn't. All I really want to know is where i buy the oil from. Cheap!

7. I cant see there being a problem using the sthil oil as long as you don’t mix them together

8. kimble

kimble New Member

Get yourself off to your local motor factors or even garden centre and you can pick yourself a decent oil up for under a tenner and they will also sell mixing bottles up so you don't have to mix up a 4/5 litre can

9. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Stihl oil is one of the best 2 strokes about, will work fine. Since My heating is soilid fuel my chainsaw is used a lot and i hve tried a few brands of two stroke before the stihl oil produces very little smoke and runs best.

10. P F Hammer

P F Hammer New Member

Stihl oil is GUARANTEED to work at 50:1 ratio. Not all other oils are. Every two stroke I run uses 50:1 Stihl.I would never use any other oil. NEVER mix synthetic with anything else,that would be bad news!

11. d..i.y dave

d..i.y dave New Member

totally agree,I work as a gardener self employed in a large private garden.
    I use Sthil one shot tubes of oil,simply pop one into a can and add 5 litres of unleaded to it,tried mixing my own,what a blooming mess :'(
    Would suggest a good garden machinery shop,could sell boxes of oils which work out cheaper.:D
    Oh by the way through my own experience ,some two stroke oils smoke like hell,even if you mix carefully

12. toad

toad New Member

where do you buy this oil? i have a very old vespa 125 which runs on 50/1 2stoke oil but as it hasnt been run for about 10 years i have no idea about where to purchase the 2stroke oil. local suppliers in essex please Toad ta

13. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Halfords, petrol stations, car accessory shops etc

14. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Square, empty, braindead head strikes again

15. lojo

lojo New Member

where do you buy this oil? i have a very old vespa 125

what model is the vespa?