2 way lighting domestic

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rob manchester, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Rob manchester

Rob manchester New Member

I'm a time server qualified electrician but have only every worked on industrial installation. So not very familiar with domestic lighting circuits.

I've been confused by a two way lighting circuit and I'm after some help.

I have three down stairs lights, kitchen, lobby and toilet. They are all two way switched with two triple plate switch. They are wired in loop switch.

I would normally expect to see 3 x three core cables with wires between commons , L2's and L2's with the switch wires going to L1 and L2 but this is not the case.

Can an any one explain the style of wiring that has the Commons connected to L1s?

I'm assuming their is a convention or wiring style that I'm not familiar with.

Any house sparks offer any explanation or diagrams.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not too sure I can picture what you mean.

Let's a photo of each switch :)

4. Stugadget

Stugadget Member

Is this it ? switch.jpg

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes that's it. Live feed in and switched live out. Strappers connecting the switches. This is the type of switch wiring that led to shared circuits when the neutrals were looped around the upstairs and separate loops around the downstairs but the live feed was taken from the downstairs and the neutral used upstairs. 3-core and earth much better.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Not in the OPs case. He says connecting COM to L1.