2-way stairwell lighting.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ratters75, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

Hi all, newbie here.

I'd appreciate some help please, recently I've decorated my downstairs and stairwell and landing and decided to replace all the light switches, unfortunately after doing this (and not checking how it was originally wired in) I've noticed the following issue with the stairwell 2-way lighting.
    The upstairs switch has twin+e from the light, also in the box there is a 3 core+e which I know should run down to the bottom switch to enable the 2-way switching, unfortunately and completely baffling to me is that in the downstairs switch there is only a twin+e, this doesn't make any sense and for the life of me I cannot understand how it would've been possible to get the 2-way switching to work like this.
    The 3-core upstairs has your standard grey colouring insulation but the 2-core downstairs is white, they must both go off to a JB somewhere but that doesn't explain why there is still no common to join the 2 switches up.
    The 2-way switching always used to work but now I can only get the switches working 1-way.

Help please.

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What else is in the downstairs switch? Hallway light? A live was likely robbed from there.

[​IMG]

3. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

Just the twin+e, that's it. It's a 1 gang switch just for the landing light.

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can you post pic of both light switches

5. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

I will do but it'll have to be in the morning.

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

If rewiring a switch it is common to use triple and earth so in the future two way switching can be added, one wire will normally be earthed. However in your case clearly at some point it must be jointed, most likely at the ceiling rose. Since with two way wiring one of the three wires is permanent line, it is possible to borrow that line wire off another switch, at one time this was common, but it can cause problems with loop hearing aids so is now frowned on, however there is nothing to say you shouldn't do it as long as the other switch is supplied by the same protective device, if not from same protective device it becomes a borrowed neutral which is dangerous.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You must be missing something then, unless some naughty person used the earth (seen it a few times). Is it a dry lining box? Could a cable have slipped out?

8. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

I'll get some pics up in a mo.

9. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

10. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

Pics are posted if they help.

11. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

My worst fears have been realised....earth used for the common

12. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Blowed if I can see the earth used as a common

13. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

You can't in this pic as it's wired as it should be as I assumed the earth was earth obviously, unfortunately the cowboy before me thought it a good idea to use it as the common.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nor can I Eric

15. Ratters75

Ratters75 New Member

Appreciate the reply guys, in the pic the earth is wired to the earth terminal on the box which is obviously correct, I've since come to find that the earth is actually connected to common elsewhere.

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Can you turn the switch round so the terminals can be seen clearly?
    Please provide a photo of where the earth is used as a common also.

17. fire

fire Well-Known Member

No that is a plane yellow not a yellow/green lol

Find the other end of the plain yellow and plain blue...

18. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Read posts 13 and 15.

fire likes this.
  19. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

If ..that..is your worst fear....you need to get out more....lol
    RS