2 way switching debate

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Jul 26, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Am I right in saying there is two ways to wire 2 way lighting.

I have looked videos on line and I have seen it done two ways but a colleague is adamant there is only one way.

We both agree that the PL goes into the common.

But I have seen a vid and diagram on line where it says the PL goes into L1 or L2. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyone know where the best application would be.

Any info would be great.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

PL being Permanent Live, yes, then that would be going or L1 or L2.
    Com would just join the 2 switches together.

two-way-switching-wiring-diagram-old-colours.jpg

tore81 likes this.
  3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Loads of different ways to wire 2 way switching.

tore81 likes this.
  4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thank you both. What is the most common method? I take it there is no difference.

On a new install would you wire it to the diagram above.

Great diagram PP

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. peter palmer

It all depends where the switches are in relation to the lights, if both switches are on the same level I tend to use a piece of twin and earth as the strappers between L1 and L2 and loop the live and neutral in at each switch box or if its a pendant in the middle of a hall with a switch at either end then maybe it might be best to take a 3 core and earth to each switch from the pendant and put a connector for the commons inside the pendant.

I have before now taken a twin and earth to the first switch for permanent live and neutral (live in common), a twin and earth to the first downlight but only used the neutral (no singles to hand). Then ran a twin and earth for the strappers to the second switch and another twin and earth to the last downlight but just used the live out of the common to the last downlight.

I only tend to use the above diagram way if its a landing light and the switches are on different levels or I dont need the second switch to do anything else other than the 2 way or need to carry on the circuit. I think it all comes down to who is paying for the cable.

6. nffc

nffc Active Member

Two plate.

Three plate.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have an issue with that illustration.

Allowing for old/new colours. Wire 3 on the rose is Black sleeved Red. I was always taught that the Live out from the rose should be Red and the feed back in Black sleeved Red indicating that it is a Switched Live.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2 way switching debate - ermmm cant fink of nefin 2 say about 2 way switching/2 way with intermediate..its very good.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks for that PP handy to know.

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The method Phil showed is known as the conversion method.

There is also this way,

upload_2016-7-27_19-15-0.png

Kind regards

tore81 likes this.
  11. peter palmer

IMG_20160727_105216.jpg

This is how I did one today, the switch on the left as you look at it 2 ways the landing light upstairs as per the diagram above, the switch on the right is a one way switch with a piece of twin and earth and does a porch light as a conventional switch.

The middle switch is for the hall light and is 2 wayed with upstairs, what I have done is loop in and loop out a the hall rose as normal, a piece of 3 core and earth to the upstairs switch, black in loop live, grey in switched live and brown in a wago. Then I have taken a piece of twin and earth from the hall rose to the downstairs switch, brown in the wago with the other brown and blue in switched live with the grey. I have then put a link into L1 of the middle switch to give it permanent power. All works perfectly.

I basically did it this was as I couldn't fit 2 x 3 cores and a twin and earth down the tube in the wall.

FatHands and tore81 like this.
  12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Nice neat job Pete - top man.

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks all great for knowledge

14. Billy Towler

Billy Towler New Member

Put all the red wires together, all the green / yellow ones, snip off the others, switch on and stand back. Can't see that failing at all. Respect.