2017 Holidays

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by wiggy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Cooool. Yes, completely stunning area. You walk aroon' Exmoor and stuff?

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Yeah pretty much so we always seem to find new walks, never do more than about 10 miles a day and make sure that we find time to stop off for some light lunch and a cider or 2, my one concession is that I allow my dragon a couple of days retail therapy usually Barnstaple, the hotel has entertainment on at night then it's off to bed and it all starts again :) I will say we never usually drive then walk all the walks are from the hotel and back, like to leave the car alone as much as we can for the 2 weeks we are there.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You need some powerful legs to walk around them hills, still could always use the cliff railway.
    Been a coupe of times myself, tis a beautiful part of the countryside.

4. facilities

facilities Guest

image.jpeg Yes Phil, I never tire of it, and your right there are some mighty big hills, Lynmouth to Lyndon being one of the steepest, only done it twice in ten years, as you say the cliff railway or drive up and down is what we do these days, one of our favourites is the walk following the East Lyn river to Watersmeet a national trust lodge (see photo) then onto Rockford and finally Brendan both these little villages have a pub with good choice of Ales & Ciders, return trip abou 10 miles which takes us all day.

5. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

facilities
    Have you done the Drive through Lee Abbey to Woody bay?
    There's a lovely Narrow gauge railway there. Great for the enthusiast & kids.
    And of course the Hunters Inn, almost a must see.

Then the other way, towards Minehead, up Countisbury Hill, but you will need the car.
    Finally, Minehead railway a really enjoyable afternoon can be spent here.

We take time out & spend a day riding the North Devon route, from Barnstaple to Tiverton, through Dulverton & the National Park onto Dunster,(a very old place) then past the Castle to Minehead.
    Then homeward onto Lynton/Lynmouth, through Selworthy, Porlock, Barnstaple & then back home. Appox 130 miles.
    Anyway, North Devon....Its the place to be.

This Country has a lot to offer.
    Thats why were off to Mallorca again in April. Still quiet then & not too hot.

6. facilities

facilities Guest

Hi Master, yes we've done Lee Abbey to Woody Bay but walked it from Lynton, we've also walked on to Hunters Inn on the coastal path, don't think I'll do that again some almost sheer drops and I'm finding it a bit difficult these days :( also stopped off at Woody Bay station never got on the train though but we had superb cream teas there:) we've also done the other way Countisbury hill, Minehead by car, need to check Minehead Railway though, also not drove the North Devon Route need to have a do at that, bin to Porlock, Dunster, just love the place, funny thing years ago when our 2 girls were young we used to holiday in Torquay and Paignton, in the eighties there was a big hotel in Paignton called the Esplanade owned by Shearings we called in one night for a game of pool & drink I said to er indoors were not staying its full of old folk playing bingo, well surprise surprise what goes around come around, our hotel in Lynton is a Shearings and we are now one of the old folk playing bingo lol, enjoy your Mallorca break

7. I dont disagree with the walking and the area in general, I have a wife that cant really fly anywhere, so we do lots of similar holudays. Neither of us is a sit by the pool or on beach all day type.

Its what made us take similar holidays in europe.

Strongly recommend the moselle area of germany for similar but different holidays. Great people, scenery, food, drink, walks and hostelries.

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I hate flying!!!! Only recently got back to getting in a plane after 25 years!

9. facilities

facilities Guest

Kools always thought you were a test pilot for airfix ;)

10. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

facilities.....:):)

"Kools always thought you were a test pilot for airfix" He was, wings fell off, now he's testing the HS2. [​IMG]

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Am hoping to have my t28 converted planning on driving to Devon as a trial run then Spain if missus likes it but work Always gets in way

12. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Do it, I have had some epic drives through europe

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  13. Sparkielev

If missus not keen then she can get bus home I will drive on always wanted to it

Joe95 likes this.

14. Excellent idea, but if you havent done it before, I would suggest a shorter trip 1st time.

Something like belguim, holland, france and back. Get used to the idea and build the confidence.

You wont look back, i promise. Just get european break down cover so you dont worry about anything and go off on a slow pace to allow time to explore.

Some brilliant scenery and places , no further away than north england, depending where you live etc

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Kids will love it.
    You will need a good co-pilot for tolls and another pair of eyes.
    As well as a sat nag take a paper map too.

16. Sparkielev

Am struggling with finding time to get van converted bought it from new 2013, may end handing it over to someone to convert but so many bodgits out there it hard to trust anyone

17. Consider a shorter trip, maybe just a few days, and use local b and b type places, no need to book if you go out of high season, to see if its what you like and want to do more?

That way no need to convert your van until you are sure

18. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Nothing booked yet for main hols, but a few days over in Ireland for the Northwest 200

Phil the Paver likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

It's definitely want I want to do it why I bought van, missus is keen for it as well, have ideas what I want as conversion don't want full kitchen gonna go with pod and other things